Need advice from PRO PC BUILDERS

Sep 21, 2018
I have decided, it is time to upgrade my PC, was thinking I would go all out and finance a £4000+ PC but decided not to. So the PC before i purchased some new components:

Mobo: ASUS H81M-Plus
RAM: HyperX Fury 2x4gb
CPU: I3-4170
PSU: CIT 750W ATX 12V Switching PSU
GPU: unbranded gtx 960
Storage: 1TB + 500GB HDD
Case: Corsair Carbide Alpha

I have just purchased:
RAM: HyperX - 2x8gb
CPU: I7-4790
PSU: CORSAIR CX600
GPU: Zotac 1070 mini
Storage: 120GB SSD
CPU Cooler: ID COOLING 1fan/rad
Fans: 3X RGB COOLER Master + controller
CASE: KOLINK Stronghold

My PC looks fly, it is 5 times better than my previous PC, which (started off with a GT730M GPU, 4GB RAM) and allows me to keep up withe modern games without going over the top!

The question I have is:

Currently, I am still using the CIT 750W PSU and when I try and run benchmarks or games in super settings, My PC has a "surge" and restarts... hence I have just ordered a Corsair cx600... Can anyone tell me why this might be happening?

Also, I would like to upgrade my motherboard, just so confused at all the different models.. i.e H81, H97, H87, Z97, Z87, B85, ETC....... I have been looking at a lot of Z97 ones, as I was told they will be the best, but do I EVEN NEED TO UPGRADE MY MOTHERBOARD?

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks all I am new to these forums, but not new to PC's so will understand what you guys are saying :)))))

Solution
If you don't have issue with the MB....I'd stick with it.

Did you know you could put an i7 in that MB?

Then you could up your GPU to at least a 1070 and maybe a 1080.

....and as far as the memory....it depends what you do.....but I have two pretty capable gaming rigs and I'm only running 16 and that's plenty for me.
As far as the PSU....I'm thinking most likely you are talking about ASUS Anti-Surge.

This is a feature on some ASUS motherboards. The way I understand it....it monitors the DC bus voltages of the PSU and if it detects the voltages to be out of specification (whatever ASUS decided that was), it gives you the error that you are getting.

As far as upgrading the MB.....if it was working for me.....and I was happy with it.....I'd leave it be.

Sep 21, 2018

Thanks for the response, if it were you also, what would you suggest I do to solve the PSU problem? should i just install my new psu?

Here's the thing....I have seen quite a few instances where this feature has activated.

In some instances...it was very obvious why it did.

In others....I questioned it's validity.

I've also read people's opinions on it. Some swear by it...some think it's total BS.

I think it's somewhere in between.

Basically....if it's measuring your voltages....and one goes slightly out of spec and you get the error...in my opinion it means "something might be wrong"....not "something IS wrong".

...but in most cases....the solution to not getting the error is a new PSU regardless if there was actually a problem.

Sep 21, 2018

OKAY, great thank you, I will switch out the new PSU as soon as it arrives then, going back to the motherboard, would you suggest I need a new motherboard? or should i stick with the one I have and stick with 16gb RAM and not upgrade to 32gb?

If you don't have issue with the MB....I'd stick with it.

Did you know you could put an i7 in that MB?

Then you could up your GPU to at least a 1070 and maybe a 1080.

....and as far as the memory....it depends what you do.....but I have two pretty capable gaming rigs and I'm only running 16 and that's plenty for me.

Solution
Sep 21, 2018
Thanks to both of you, I have replaced the PSU with the Corsair CX600 and turned off asus anti-surge system, no issues to date, also don't plan to change my MB as I will stick with the RAM i have!