[SOLVED] Need advice on old rig upgrade

maet4

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Hello. I am trying to help a friend upgrade his old computer, which it is aimed for regular use and light gaming, mostly old games and probably CS:GO and I am quite unsure of the PSU's sufficency once the "new" GPU is installed, since the PSU has only 2+2 pins and the motherboard requires a 8 pin connection. Also, the motherboard has support till 1600mhz and the new RAM is 1866MHZ.

The specs right now are:
mb: GA-B85M-D3H
PSU: Sentey BCP450-OC (450W)
cpu: i3 4160

Upgrade will be: HD 6670 1GB DDR3 and 2x4GB Kingston 1866mhz

1. What are the risks of not giving the motherboard the right sufficiency when installing those components? (consider the light gaming part, my friend barely uses the computer)
  2. Is underclocking an automatic thing? Or do I have to configure something from the BIOS?

Solution
Even that psu is seriously going to stretch a Senty psu, there's not that many branded psus that are worse.

I'd suggest a GT1030 instead of the hd6670
Hello. I am trying to help a friend upgrade his old computer, which it is aimed for regular use and light gaming, mostly old games and probably CS:GO and I am quite unsure of the PSU's sufficency once the "new" GPU is installed, since the PSU has only 2+2 pins and the motherboard requires a 8 pin connection. Also, the motherboard has support till 1600mhz and the new RAM is 1866MHZ.

The specs right now are:
mb: GA-B85M-D3H
PSU: Sentey BCP450-OC (450W)
cpu: i3 4160

Upgrade will be: HD 6670 1GB DDR3 and 2x4GB Kingston 1866mhz

1. What are the risks of not giving the motherboard the right sufficiency when installing those components? (consider the light gaming part, my friend barely uses the computer)
  2. Is underclocking an automatic thing? Or do I have to configure something from the BIOS?
The Sentey PSU will likely croak with any load on it beyond the CPU, not to mention its horrible quality to begin with.
Sentey BCP450-OC (label)
Review

Reactions: maet4

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sentey only ever branded 1 halfway decent psu line, the Jumper series. Every other Sentey is either a fire-hazard, time-bomb or both.

I'd not put a Sentey in my personal pc if you paid me to do so, never mind buying it from a relative. That just makes for bad blood in the family when it goes 'boom'.

But it's not my money, nor my family, and I have other options, you may not. As long as you understand the risks involved, you can make your own decisions.

Reactions: maet4

maet4

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Sentey only ever branded 1 halfway decent psu line, the Jumper series. Every other Sentey is either a fire-hazard, time-bomb or both.

I'd not put a Sentey in my personal pc if you paid me to do so, never mind buying it from a relative. That just makes for bad blood in the family when it goes 'boom'.

But it's not my money, nor my family, and I have other options, you may not. As long as you understand the risks involved, you can make your own decisions.

I understand. Could you recommend me one unit that is sufficient for that build? Or some options if you don't mind that could be cheap here. In our country we don't have so many brands as you guys do. We can find Corsair, Thermaltake, EVGA, Gigabyte units.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ah.

You'll have to do some homework for us then. Many countries don't use English on websites, at all, so for me to find decent prices, or what you'd consider decent, is often something totally out of budget, especially with the way import fees, taxes etc can change the conversion rate ratio.

So of you could find a few websites, better if local, that'll ship to you or have local stores you can visit, with a top-end budget, in your currency, that would be great.

maet4

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Ah.

You'll have to do some homework for us then. Many countries don't use English on websites, at all, so for me to find decent prices, or what you'd consider decent, is often something totally out of budget, especially with the way import fees, taxes etc can change the conversion rate ratio.

So of you could find a few websites, better if local, that'll ship to you or have local stores you can visit, with a top-end budget, in your currency, that would be great.

www.mercadolibre.com.ar
www.compragamer.com
www.maximus.com.ar

www.hardgamers.com.ar <- This one has or seems like having every Argentinian gaming site on it