[SOLVED] Need advice on PSU decision

Socier16

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
Hi All,

I need advice to decide which psu to get. I'm currently planning on building my first pc so I really need advice and info from the expert here :).

PC spec:
Ryzen 5 3600
B450 Tomahawk Max
GTX 1650 super (also hoping to upgrade in the future to get maybe like 2060 super level)
Team Delta 2x8GB 3200
ADATA XPG sx6000 512GB

i'll use this pc for work and casual gaming (on 1080p mostly FPS games). I don't have good knowledge in psu quality, I have read many reviews and threads but still confused which one is best suited for me.

Originally I'm planning to get Corsair CX550 or CX650 (grey label) but I can't found any stock here and it seems that there won't be any further restock for that products because even the official corsair distributor said that it already replaced by the CX-M series. I live in Indonesia so I will share some of the option I've found available in my local marketplace which I think could accomodate my current and future gpu upgrade.

will this psu sufficient and durable:
BE QUIET! - SYSTEM POWER 9 600W CM 80 Plus Bronze 600 Watt
https://www.tokopedia.com/nanokompu...ower-9-600w-cm-80-plus-bronze-600-watt?whid=0

Or should I spend more to get something like:

BE QUIET! - PURE POWER 11 600W CM Semi Modular 80 Plus Gold 600 Watt
https://www.tokopedia.com/nanokompu...-cm-semi-modular-80-plus-gold-600-watt?whid=0

Corsair CX550M/CX650M
https://www.tokopedia.com/corsair-o...lus-bronze-certified-modular-atx-psu-1?whid=0

BitFenix - Whisper 550W Gold

Or maybe if there's any other recommendation, I'd like to hear it too.

Thankyou :)

Solution
The pure power 11 is ok. Probably slightly less quality than the CXm, which while only being a bronze platform DOES use 105°C capacitors rather than the 85°C caps used in the Pure power 11 600w units. The CXm doesn't use the greatest fan in the world though, opting for one with a sleeve bearing, however the Pure power 11 doesn't use BeQuiet's silent wings fans either, opting for a cheaper fan model, so again, they are not that far apart in terms of quality but I think the CXm will last longer. But, the CXm is also an older platform, so there might be some platform differences present that give other advantages to the Pure power 11 that I don't know of.

I think if you can't get the Bitfenix unit, you go with the CXm and choose the 650w...

Socier16

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
For a cheaper option, you can go with the Corsair CX550M. Its not as good as the Whisper but should work for that configuration.

I thought so.. thanks for confirming because many of the review out there always comparing the CX-M with CX and I end up thinking will it be a reliable unit because people always said that CX is the minimum baseline. I'll choose this as my second option if the bitfenix isn't available as the stock may vary :rolleyes:

Socier16

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
The 2015 and later CXm units are not nearly as good as the 2017 and newer CX units. Both however are much better than the older "green label" CX units. I'd get the Whisper even if you have to pay moderately more for it.

Thanks for the advice. Yes the whisper will definitely be my first option. anyway, what do you think about the pure power 11? is it better than corsair CX-M? or do you have any suggestion for my back-up plan if I can't get the bitfenix?

The pure power 11 is ok. Probably slightly less quality than the CXm, which while only being a bronze platform DOES use 105°C capacitors rather than the 85°C caps used in the Pure power 11 600w units. The CXm doesn't use the greatest fan in the world though, opting for one with a sleeve bearing, however the Pure power 11 doesn't use BeQuiet's silent wings fans either, opting for a cheaper fan model, so again, they are not that far apart in terms of quality but I think the CXm will last longer. But, the CXm is also an older platform, so there might be some platform differences present that give other advantages to the Pure power 11 that I don't know of.

I think if you can't get the Bitfenix unit, you go with the CXm and choose the 650w model, which is pretty seriously overkill for your 1650 Super but WOULDN'T be for a 2060 Super, and will have enough overhead in any case that any concerns with the fan will probably not matter as the unit will be unlikely to run anywhere near capacity on a regular basis.

Solution

Socier16

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021

I think if you can't get the Bitfenix unit, you go with the CXm and choose the 650w model, which is pretty seriously overkill for your 1650 Super but WOULDN'T be for a 2060 Super, and will have enough overhead in any case that any concerns with the fan will probably not matter as the unit will be unlikely to run anywhere near capacity on a regular basis.

Nicee, now I'm super clear with the decision :giggle:.

Last question, I heard that power supply best used at 80% load to retain its durability, is this opinion true? I'm wondering because in case I do get the CX650M then as you said it will be "overkill" for the 1650 super. originally I thought that more extra wattage is better.

Whatever the maximum potential power draw of the full system is, should be ABOUT 60-80% of the power supplies maximum rated capacity, for optimal efficiency of the power supply. But it's not a hard fast rule and in a lot of cases it doesn't really matter, except to ensure that you get a unit which has plenty of overhead so you don't cut the decision on what capacity to get too close and run into problems at peak draw or later when you upgrade, because most systems usually don't run the majority of their time at full capacity or anywhere near it anyhow.

For you, assuming you WILL upgrade to a 2060 Super or something more capable than your current 1650 Super at some point in the next year or two, I'd say a very good 550w is plenty, or a decent 650w. If you were to get a good 650w, that would not be a problem either. Getting a poor or mediocre quality 550w probably WOULD be a problem if you upgraded, or just in general, since low quality power supplies tend to fail much faster in gaming systems than they would in a run of the mill internet browsing machine.

I like to use this as a guide, in addition to my own years of experience AND the reading of professional reviews for any model I need to match a PSU to.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

And this is my own short guide on what models I typically recommend.

Socier16

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
Whatever the maximum potential power draw of the full system is, should be ABOUT 60-80% of the power supplies maximum rated capacity, for optimal efficiency of the power supply. But it's not a hard fast rule and in a lot of cases it doesn't really matter, except to ensure that you get a unit which has plenty of overhead so you don't cut the decision on what capacity to get too close and run into problems at peak draw or later when you upgrade, because most systems usually don't run the majority of their time at full capacity or anywhere near it anyhow.

For you, assuming you WILL upgrade to a 2060 Super or something more capable than your current 1650 Super at some point in the next year or two, I'd say a very good 550w is plenty, or a decent 650w. If you were to get a good 650w, that would not be a problem either. Getting a poor or mediocre quality 550w probably WOULD be a problem if you upgraded, or just in general, since low quality power supplies tend to fail much faster in gaming systems than they would in a run of the mill internet browsing machine.

I like to use this as a guide, in addition to my own years of experience AND the reading of professional reviews for any model I need to match a PSU to.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

And this is my own short guide on what models I typically recommend.

Very well, thank you very much for your responses and sharing. So much clearer now. Have a nice day :)