Need Advice on these Motherboards

rosco1234

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I am in the proces of upgrading my Mobo Cpu and Ram.

I am going to put in the i5 760 and 4Gb of ram but the motherboard is giving me trouble.
I am stuck between the ASUS Maximus III Formula and the MSI Big Bang Trinergy, both have an add on sound card as standard and the reviews that I have read say they both perform about the same.
My question is which one will give me the best sound performance as I am going to be using the Logitech Z-5500 speaker system.

rosco1234

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I did some more digging and found that both the sound cards are just riser versions of on board cards that ars only slitely better so only thing i need to figure out is which one to go with? Quantum wave or SupremeFX

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Most onboard or integrated sound cards give fairly good sound quality. The difference isn't going to be a noticeable one between the two. You should be plenty happy with either.

rosco1234

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Yes I can Understand that but my main consern then whould be which one is easier to use. Meaning which ons has the least amount of compatability issues with the drivers or whould it be safe to asume that because the platform is in the end stages that the currant or past issues are sorted.

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

Well I hope your note basing your sole purchase on which one has a better sound card.

To buy a component sound card and install it would be a more suffice option and give you better sound. Both are good/average sound cards (better than any other integrated sound cards) but neither one of them are leaps and bounds over the other.

Creative X-Fi makes much better sound cards if your a true sound enthusiast and are anywhere from around 50$-180$.

If I just HAD to pick based solely on which had the better sound card I would say the Supreme FX is maybe a little better. They are both going to be super easy to use though and both will be compatible with any type of product such as your talking about (Logitech speakers).

I'm an Asus fan though and the maximus III formula is a good mobo.

rosco1234

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
So basicaly its down to personal choice at the moment as I am planning to add a true sound card later on.