Question Need advice upgrading CPU, MoBo, Memory and Storage

ojasV

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
My budget is 1000USD (75000 INR).

My usage is 3D modelling and computational design (Rhinoceros 3D and Grasshopper), rendering on Keyshot, competitive FPS shooters (Valorant, CS:GO) and AAA offline titles at 1080p, high quality.

CPU: Right now torn between Ryzen 5 3600x and 5600x, latter of which costs 400 USD in my area. Also looking at Ryzen 7 3700x.

MoBo: I don't need fancy features but a flash BIOS function is a must. I do want a really good VRM design since I'd most likely be milking the CPU for years to come, with overclocking. Do I need a B550 or better chipset or will a B450 be sufficient? I understand that B550 has PCIe 4.0 lanes but are they really worth it? I'd be sticking to a single NVMe SSD and a SATA III HDD. As of now I don't see myself getting any expansion cards. Maybe a Wi-Fi 6 card when they are mainstream.

Memory: From what I've researched, (double rank 16GB @ 3600 MHz) x 2 = 32 GB will solve all my purposes. Please advise.

Storage: I have a 4TB WD Green HDD for storage that I'll keep. I need an NVMe drive to boot from.

I have a GTX 1070Ti and an Antec Earthwatts Pro 650W Gold PSU. I hope those will suffice. No peripherals required.

I'll be sourcing parts in India.

Thank you :)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
If you get the Ryzen 5600x, then the automatic choice is a B550 chipset board. Now, if you don't need additional PCIe slots for multi GPU setup, I'd advise on getting an matx or mitx board.

I would advise on upping the PSU...how old is it? You're investing quite a lot of money on your system, might as well show the same kind of love to the PSU as it's considered to be the heart of the system.

ojasV

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
If you get the Ryzen 5600x, then the automatic choice is a B550 chipset board.

That's what I'm not so sure of. The 5600X doesn't seem that much better than the 3600X, especially not at the price its available at right now. Its costing 410 USD here. I don't mind spending 400 USD on a processor but the 5600X just seems inflated.

I would advise on upping the PSU...how old is it?

Its barely one year old, do I really need to?