Need help choosing new power supply and graphics card.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Yep polymers don't have liquid electrolyte inside, hence the nickname solid caps so their failure rate is extremely low and they last much longer. I'm perfectly cool with having Chinese polymers in my power supplies, they'll probably last longer than the Japanese electrolytic caps. I see Teapo polymers a lot - not so much the other Chinese brands, which is good since Teapo is decent. I also see Chemi-Con polymers in a lot in units. Enesol is common too, and I've tried researching them and they might be Korean. But point be told I wouldn't be concerned over polymers dying. They can of course - they'll crack and such, but they last a lot longer.

DustinV

Honorable

I feel like you sleep with a power supply, and have like 20 power supplies on shelves in your room.

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

How do you find all this information about power supplies???

I'm just a person with a hobby :p I learn all my information online, and some I've learned from a book a tad (but that book on electricity sucked so I quit it after 80 pages). There is so much I still have to learn. I still consider myself a novice in PSUs.

I only have 3 power supplies in my room at night, thank you :lol:

braeseven

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2016
Sorry guys i've neglected my post here. Thanks for continuing to offer advice. My budget is $600 total except $200 comes in next week and $400 2 weeks after that. So it's power first and video second. At least it's happening in the right order hehe. Unfortunately I missed the window on that EVGA PSU as the sale ended yesterday (was gonna borrow the dough but decided not to). If I have to pay full price so be it. With the video card, unless I can find the 390 on sale it will be out of reach. I'm sure i'd be happy with the 380(x).

braeseven

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2016
Any of these stand out?

Power Supplies:

EVGA SUPERNOVA 650 GS 80 PLUS GOLD 650W ECO MODE FULLY MODULAR 5YR WTY
EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 G2 80 PLUS GOLD 750W 10YR WTY
EVGA 650 GQ 80 Plus Gold 650W SLI/CrossFire Eco Mode Semi Modular 5YR WTY
Corsair RM650X 80 PLUS Gold 650W ATX12V V2.31 Zero RPM Fan Mode Modular 7YR WTY
Coolermaster V650 80 Plus Gold 650W ATX12V Active PFC SATA PCI Express Semi Modular

Video Cards:

CLUB3D Radeon R9 380 980MHZ 5.9GHZ 4GB GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E
GIGABYTE Radeon R9 380 Windforce 970MHZ 5.7GHZ 4GB GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI Dispport ATX PCI-E 3
GIGABYTE Radeon R9 380 G1 990MHZ 5.7GHZ 4GB GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E
MSI Radeon R9 380 TwinFrozr V 1GHz 5.7GHZ 4GB GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E
ASUS Radeon R9 380 Strix 990MHZ 5.7GHZ 4GB GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E
MSI Radeon R9 380 4GD5T OC 980MHZ 5.5GHZ 4GB GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E
XFX Radeon R9 380 990MHZ 4GB D5 DP 2xDVI HDMI Dual Dissipation PCI E 3.0
Sapphire Nitro R9 380 1010MHZ 4GB D5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP DUAL-X OC PCI-E

GIGABYTE Radeon R9 380X Windforc e 980MHZ 5.7GHZ 4GB GDDR5 DVI-D /I HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E
ASUS Radeon R9 380X Strix 970MHZ 5.7GHZ 4GB GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E
XFX Radeon R9 380X DD XXX OC 990MHZ D5 4GB Double Dissipation DP/HDMI/2XDVI PCI-E 3.0
Sapphire Nitro R9 380X 4GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP DUAL-X OC W/BP PCI-E
ASUS Vcx STRIX R9 380X 4GB 256BIT DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP DX12

Don't go buy scores. Look at the actual review and you'll see the others are better. Relying solely on Jonnyguru scores is a poor way of comparison.

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

I should try to learn more :p but honestly electricity has always baffled me. I mean amperage, voltage, wattage, all the calculations involved, how it's transferred through a power supply, all the parts of a power supply, I never really got it.

Heck, it drives me nuts! I wish I knew so much more, but it's difficult to find the proper resources to really learn this stuff. I'd really like to move on from the basics; because really, I consider myself a novice with all there is to learn.

I recommend you check these out http://amasci.com/ele-edu.html they clear up so many electricity misconceptions that many users on this forum even talk about. They are really cool to read, mind-blowing. The best one is that electricity does not exist.

DustinV

Honorable

Shut up and go sleep with your power supplies. You are making me feel dumb :(
If you are a novice we must have pea sized brains compared to you

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

Woo gonna check this out now, thanks man

What do you think, I'm going to marry a power supply! :lol:

Believe me, once you go through some of these, you will find that you'll have a lot of secret knowledge many others don't have. The guy who writes these is a professor who has a particular hate for traditional textbooks and their bad explanations of electricity.

TofuLion

Admirable
ok, this thread went to a really weird place...

either way, a power supply doesn't have much impact on gaming, provided it is decent quality and used correctly. the graphics card is what will determine the quality of your experience, which makes it more important.

DustinV

Honorable
Ya i think the OP got his answer but didnt select a best solution, so this thread got weird :p

by the way, i got my new power supply and its soooo great, now my specs in signature looks even more pro