[SOLVED] Need Help Concerning External Gaming GPU

Jun 11, 2019
I will preface my remarks that I do have a dedicated gaming computer. This question is to investigate whether or not it is possible to upgrade an older SFF factor Dell 760 SFF with a dual-slot SFF Nvidia 1050 Ti card (already in hand) that definitely will NOT fit within the existing case--currently using an Nvidia GT 1030. I have a Dell 450W PSU (with all the usual wiring) available. I would like to find an economical, simple solution to using the aforementioned card, or perhaps a somewhat better one if it comes along, externally to the computer. Budget would be, say, $100.

I don't necessarily rule out buying another case for the existing components, but that would be inconvenient for a number of reasons. Not an impossibility, but prefer a simpler solution.

At the present, the computer has available the usual PCIe slot for interface. It has other slots, but presumably these are unsuitable for gaming use.

I have read similar threads, but no answers seemed forthcoming. Thank you all for your help, and Merry Christmas!

Jun 11, 2019
While not advisable, you could use something like this to "extend" the PCIe slot out of the cramped SFF case:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812183053

However, many SFF systems limit the wattage of the PCIe slot (often to 35w). This limits the GPUs that will actually work with that system.

Yes, I have seen this option. The card I am thinking of using >>ought<< to get sufficient power from the PCIE slot, but any higher-wattage card would be impossible due to non-replaceable OEM 240W PSU.

Your suggestion might well be the "fall-back" alternative, and thank you very much!.