[SOLVED] Need help figuring out downsizing

May 30, 2022
Prefacing this off with saying I don't know anything about customizing computers.

I bought this computer in 2018 and have upgraded the GPU to a Nvidia 1030 ti since then. More specs in the link because I don't know what relevant ones to grab and put here.

The thing is, the side tempered glass panel has shattered and I'm left with an open and exposed case now. I don't know how possible replacing the glass would be. The case is really big and clunky too. About 17inches, I guess? I also move around a lot since my housing isn't really stable and beginning to think having a pc is too hard to transport. But I don't really know what to do with it.

Is it possible to move it to a smaller more lightweight case? How would I even go about moving everything? I'm not sure what cases to even pick. Would there be some that just straight up doesn't fit inside of it? I just don't really know what to do and am a little confused.

I don't even know if I could sell this thing cause no one wants an old computer, let alone one with an exposed side and broken case. I just think maybe moving cases would be cheaper than getting a laptop or something? I just don't know and am open to ideas and suggestions. Help would be appreciated.

Solution
Your case is a typical size for a MATX motherboard.
You are not likely to find a replacement case that is significantly smaller.

As you said, the processor and motherboard is all but obsolete.
I would just keep it as is, with the side panel removed.

What do you use this pc for?
Do you have a budget for a replacement?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The motherboard in that unit appears to be Micro ATX, and also looks to be 'standard' as far as size and cabling. You could purchase another case that is M-ATX or larger and move the components over. IF you were interested in trying to replace or fix the glass you could try to contact BB or iBuyPower to see if they have anything available. You could also utilize a bit of plexi from a hardware store if you are handy.

As far as portability that typically falls into the M-ITX case and component form. I would not spend money to move that system onto a new motherboard. In that case it would be worthwhile to consider a new build that suits your need for portability. There are many 'ITX' cases that have handles on them for ease in taking with.

May 30, 2022
The motherboard in that unit appears to be Micro ATX, and also looks to be 'standard' as far as size and cabling. You could purchase another case that is M-ATX or larger and move the components over. IF you were interested in trying to replace or fix the glass you could try to contact BB or iBuyPower to see if they have anything available. You could also utilize a bit of plexi from a hardware store if you are handy.

As far as portability that typically falls into the M-ITX case and component form. I would not spend money to move that system onto a new motherboard. In that case it would be worthwhile to consider a new build that suits your need for portability. There are many 'ITX' cases that have handles on them for ease in taking with.

Thank you for your advice ibuypower doesn't ship to my current location and unfortunately I am not very handy or have the tools to put in plexiglass.. I don't really plan on replacing the motherboard, just moving it all. So it can fit into any Micro ITX cases then? Not a mini, a micro? I'll look into them.

The motherboard should be compatible with any micro ATX or full ATX case.

I'd be somewhat concerned about the existing power supply.

It may be proprietary rather than industry standard in some way but I don't see any details in your link. Do you know its dimensions?

May 30, 2022
The motherboard should be compatible with any micro ATX or full ATX case.

I'd be somewhat concerned about the existing power supply.

It may be proprietary rather than industry standard in some way but I don't see any details in your link. Do you know its dimensions?

I'm not really sure at all or even how to tell where that is honestly? I think it may be hidden by some metal at the bottom, I don't know at all sorry. All the specs for everything and moving the components seem really confusing to me..

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Micro ATX, not ITX.

There are a great deal of very good videos on YT about how to build a PC. Basically if you pay close attention to what you are doing as you take it apart it should be pretty easy for you. The cables all plug into specific locations and most of the time are marked as well. The only two to be wary of would be PCI and CPU power. I don't think your GPU takes supplemental power, so that really shouldn't be an issue.

Solution
May 30, 2022

Okay, I guess it's not really worth replacing then. Seems really complicated anyhow. I just used it for gaming occasionally. I don't really have a budget since I'm in a tight spot financially. I don't think I could even afford a whole new rig or a new laptop, I'm not even sure if I could even sell this thing since the side panel shattered. Guess this things just toast.

Okay, I guess it's not really worth replacing then. Seems really complicated anyhow. I just used it for gaming occasionally. I don't really have a budget since I'm in a tight spot financially. I don't think I could even afford a whole new rig or a new laptop, I'm not even sure if I could even sell this thing since the side panel shattered. Guess this things just toast.
Nothing wrong with just running it with the side panel removed.
Actually, a bit better since cooling will be improved.
The only negative is aesthetics.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Used cases can be particularly hard to sell unless they were a very popular one. Many have been the times that I have dumped them in the bin rather than take up the space.

As has been stated, your rig is long in the tooth. There are loads of really good budget choices on the market that do destroy the performance of what you are working with. At this point I would not recommend spending even one dime towards something that was not specific to be used with something more modern. Even if you went used, ANY generation Ryzen, and pretty much anything 4th gen or better from Intel would be a serious upgrade to these specs.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fx cpus were 66% of the ability of 3rd gen Intel, and we are currently working with 12th gen intel, so figure that any new cpu is somewhere around at least 400% faster/stronger than that fx6300. Just for perspective.

Any halfway decent MATX case is going to run $60 and up. There are cheaper, barely, but they are more of a thermal headache than they are worth, besides being questionable build quality.

Custom car stereo shops deal with acrylic panels all the time, call around and see if they'd cut you one for the side of your case and how much, it's not that hard, they'd just need the case for dimensions and screw holes/mount locations.

TRENDING THREADS