[SOLVED] Need Help for Development Workstation Build Configuration

isaumya

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
Hi,
I am looking to build a workstation for my development works. Initially, I was waiting for the new AMD Zen 4 (5nm) CPUs to launch as I wanted a future proof system. But my current system is in such a bad condition that it is mere;y unworkable (currently have a 6-year-old system).

Here is the kind of work I perform on daily basis:
  • A lot of programming
  • Design and development work (so a lot of Adobe apps and also heavy browser-based apps which requires a ton of RAM and good Graphics Card)
  • Video Editing
  • A lot of Browsing (mainly on chrome which is a huge CPU, RAM and Graphics hogging if playing videos on the browser)
  • I do not play many games but do many graphics card intensive works (be that programming or video editing or others)
So, in the build I am looking for the following things:
  • Please suggest a good case (I have 2 SSD to put). What do you think about these (some I have seen):

• Please also suggest a good PSU. I saw this:
    Should I get this or need an even higher watt PSU? Or do you suggest any other brand?

• CPU: Should I take Intel or AMD? Though I am currently using intel but I am not married to it. I am seeing recently AMD is performing way better than intel. I wish I can use the AMD Zen 4 or the new Ryzen 7 with extra 3D Cache. It would have been awesome. Please suggest a CPU that can take multiple huge workloads without any hiccups and which will last a long time and be future proof.

• Motherboard: Please suggest an ASUS motherboard as I have used other brands and don't have good experience with them.
    I need a super reliable Motherboard. ASUS hasn't failed me yet. Also if the board has a 10Gbps Ethernet, WiFi 6 and Bluetooth, it would be really nice.

• RAM: I am planning to add 64 GB RAM according to my workload.
    As sometimes I run chrome with (40-50 tabs open - some heavy web apps) + video editing + VS Code (IDE) + Live compiler for compilation + local server all running at the same time. So, please suggest a high-frequency RAM that I can get on a good price on Amazon.in

• Graphics Card: Now coming to the most important part the Graphics Card. I am planning to take a 6GB RTX card. I think that should be sufficient. What do you suggest?
    I also run 3 monitors, so, just need a card with 3 video ports at least but 4 is a bonus.
    I am well aware of the current chip shortage and I really wish I can delay my system build to next year hoping the Graphics Card shortage will be fixed. In fact, that was my initial plan.
    But as my current system is totally acting crazy and is not being able to cope with my workload, I need to get a system. I saw these on Amazon.in what do you gues thing of these, do you suggest anything else?
Whatever hardware I choose, I need to make sure the hardware is compatible with:
  • Win 11 (and hopefully Win 12 🤞)
  • Has the virtualization technology as I use Windows Sandbox sometimes
  • Able to run Android Apps in Win 11 system
  • Runs all the main big Adobe apps with butter smoothness
My Budget
INR 1,50,000/- (~ USD 2000) to INR 2,25,000/- (~ USD 3000)
Please note I also need to buy a fast NVMe SSD as well for my main C drive.

Important Note:
I am from India, so if possible please suggest product links from AMAZON.IN 🙏
Thank you so much in advance for reading the thread and all your helps. I really appreciate it. Stay Safe. 🙂

Solution
A 12700k would be a good price/performance option, with a DDR4 Z690 board. For graphics, an RX 6600 8gb is cheaper, and faster than an RTX 2060 6gb. Something like this would work. PCPP sadly shut down their India section. You can try to find comparable parts using this list as a guide.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($374.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($113.35 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z690-P D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($216.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital...

logainofhades

Titan
A 12700k would be a good price/performance option, with a DDR4 Z690 board. For graphics, an RX 6600 8gb is cheaper, and faster than an RTX 2060 6gb. Something like this would work. PCPP sadly shut down their India section. You can try to find comparable parts using this list as a guide.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($374.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($113.35 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z690-P D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($216.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 SE 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Challenger D Video Card ($459.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Deepcool MATREXX55-MESH-AR-4F ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.66 @ Amazon)
Total: $1823.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-27 14:09 EST-0500

Solution

isaumya

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
Hi @logainofhades,
Few questions:
1. Is there a reason you are suggesting an intel CPU over AMD? As it seems AMD CPUs are now better than intel.
So, I was hoping for an AMD build as I thought it will give better performance and be future proof. Is there a reason behind suggesting intel over AMD?
Should I wait for a few more days for the new AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D and get that or you would suggest the intel or AMD?

2. Do I must need to use the liquid cooler or can use use the stock fan? As I have never personally assembled a liquid cooler so a bit worried. lol.

3. In terms of RAM, I can get 4 of these:
as the one you suggested is not available here. Also these are 3600 MHz so higher speed.

4. In terms of the Graphics Card I only found this Asus one:
costing INR 48,500 ~ 647 USD
Also as this is a PCIe 4.0 card, if I get a DDR5 Motherboard as mentioned below which comes with PCIe 5.0 will it work there as well?
Also which one will you suggest between 6600, 6600XT or RTX 3070, 3060Ti?

5. In terms of Motherboard:
Can I get this: https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-TUF-D4-Motherboard-Thunderbolt/dp/B09M8VDLXC/
OR should I get this: https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-Motherboard-Backplate-heatsinks-Q-Release/dp/B09JSZZXD4/
Which has DDR5 RAM support and in that case should I get these RAM: https://www.amazon.in/Kingston-2x16GB-6000MHz-Desktop-KF560C40BBK2-32/dp/B09N5M5PH3/

I would like to make sure that my PC is future proof and super reliable. Looking forward to your reply.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Development purposes I would choose a high-end AMD over Intel ANY day. You are going to need that multicore multithreading performance

Do yourself a huge favor and don’t game on it at all just make it be a great development box. Then you can game on a console like a series x or PlayStation five

AMD CPUs are far better at running development software and running multiple VM’s for development and testing. I would not recommend an Intel machine for any development purposes ever Because they’re multicore performance is weak

isaumya

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
Development purposes I would choose a high-end AMD over Intel ANY day. You are going to need that multicore multithreading performance

Do yourself a huge favor and don’t game on it at all just make it be a great development box. Then you can game on a console like a series x or PlayStation five

AMD CPUs are far better at running development software and running multiple VM’s for development and testing. I would not recommend an Intel machine for any development purposes ever Because they’re multicore performance is weak

In that case please suggest the build config please that you would recommend considering all the use cases I have mentioned above.

logainofhades

Titan

The 12900kf costs as much as a 5900x, and trades blows, in multicore, vs a 5950x. Not to mention the fact Raptor Lake will be compatible, for a potential upgrade. Nobody should be buying an AMD rig, from scratch, at this budget. Existing AM4 systems, yea do a drop in upgrade. Price/performance is much better then, as no need for a new board. AMD from scratch only makes sense for those on tight budgets, and need a decent enough IGP, to hold them over, while waiting to get a graphics card.