Need help from kind experts in this newsgroup

Apologize if this is the wrong newsgroup. I have a DVD writer that refuses
to read all/any disks. The system identifies the existence of the writer but
when I insert a disk into it, the whole thing either just crashed or the
writer doesn't pick up anything. Appreciate any advise from the experts
here. Also have another CD writer installed but works fine.

TIA
Nasar

In article <42b95922_1@news.tm.net.my>, Nasaruddin says...
> Apologize if this is the wrong newsgroup. I have a DVD writer that refuses
> to read all/any disks. The system identifies the existence of the writer but
> when I insert a disk into it, the whole thing either just crashed or the
> writer doesn't pick up anything. Appreciate any advise from the experts
> here. Also have another CD writer installed but works fine.

Dirty laser/defective drive.

--
Conor

"Nasaruddin" <nasarudn@tm.net.my> wrote in message
> Apologize if this is the wrong newsgroup. I have a DVD writer that refuses
> to read all/any disks. The system identifies the existence of the writer
> but when I insert a disk into it, the whole thing either just crashed or
> the writer doesn't pick up anything. Appreciate any advise from the
> experts here. Also have another CD writer installed but works fine.
>
> TIA
> Nasar

You must be using some sort of software for your DVD-RW drive.Roxio ?.
Nero ?.. It`s possible that a repair\re-install might help. best wishes..J

jad

How old is the drive and are you using it frequently? Has it ever burned a
disk?
When you say 'crash' are we talking 'anytime' you put a disk in or only when
your burning?

"Nasaruddin" <nasarudn@tm.net.my> wrote in message
> Apologize if this is the wrong newsgroup. I have a DVD writer that refuses
> to read all/any disks. The system identifies the existence of the writer
but
> when I insert a disk into it, the whole thing either just crashed or the
> writer doesn't pick up anything. Appreciate any advise from the experts
> here. Also have another CD writer installed but works fine.
>
> TIA
> Nasar

First, try a different brand of re-writable disc. Check what type(DVD
+R,DVD-R,DVD/+- RW etc). drive it is. Then check to make sure your drive is
installed correctly. And,look for a firmware update.

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> How old is the drive and are you using it frequently? Has it ever burned a
> disk?
> When you say 'crash' are we talking 'anytime' you put a disk in or only
> when
> your burning?
>
> "Nasaruddin" <nasarudn@tm.net.my> wrote in message
>> Apologize if this is the wrong newsgroup. I have a DVD writer that
>> refuses
>> to read all/any disks. The system identifies the existence of the writer
> but
>> when I insert a disk into it, the whole thing either just crashed or the
>> writer doesn't pick up anything. Appreciate any advise from the experts
>> here. Also have another CD writer installed but works fine.
>>
>> TIA
>> Nasar

Firstly thanks a million to all for all the advises.

I have had the drive for about a year now. Worked fine last month. Recently
every time I loaded in a disk into the DVD drive, it wasn't able to read or
the whole system just hang. I have another CD writer and it is working fine.
I usually use Nero to burn my DVDs but this time it could not detect the
presence of DVD disk. Strangely (at least to me), Windows however recognizes
the DVD writer. Maybe I will try to clean as suggested, and see what
happens. Any tips I could use on how best to clean a DVD drive.

Thanks again
Nasar