ASUS A7V333 mainboard w/raid array
512 PC 333 DDR Ram
ATI A-I-W 8500DV
SB Audigy Gamer
40 gig main drive
120 gig raid
Windows XP Pro (NTFS)

My problem:

Ever since I started updating my video card's driver I haven't been able to utilise AC-3 audio. When playing a DVD, the audio either skips, goes out of sync with the video, or (as it is now) is completely inaudible.

The only time AC-3 audio worked well was with the drivers that came on the CD. I have upgraded every time an update has come out including the current 2.1 Catalyst drivers and I still can't make it work.

Has anyone come across this problem and found a solution for it? ATI tech support just sends FAQ reference materials or says I probably have an error in my set up. I don't see how that can be since I've followed their install instructions to the letter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Tyreal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
Hi, and thanks for trying to help.

Yes I do have the latest drivers for the audigy card. In fact, when playing sound directly though the audigy it works great. My problem is specific to the Radeon card's DVD settings.

In the ATI DVD sound settings there are three choices:
1. Decode and down-mix to 2 channels (which passes it to the audigy. The audigy then re-mixes it to 5.1 not AC-3)

-or-

2. Pass through to audio device. You are then given two choices: Rage Theatre Audio (which is where the AC-3 audio comes from) -or- RAVISENT S/PDIF WaveOut Renderer (I don't know what it does???)

When I choose Rage Theatre audio it utilises the S/PDIF OUT jack (orange coloured connector on the ATI All-in-Wonder breakout box). I connect that to my S/PDIF IN on my digital speaker system and I should be hearing true AC-3 digital audio but...no.

I hope this clarifies my problem. If it is a mixer setting problem that wouldn't account for the skipping and the out of sync audio (when you can hear it).

Again, I am using an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV with the 2.1 Catalyst drivers. AC-3 audio did work with the drivers provided on the CD but since then all driver updates have rendered AC-3 audio useless on my system.

Thanks for trying to help
Chris

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Tyreal on 07/28/02 08:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Again, I am using an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV with the 2.1 Catalyst drivers. AC-3 audio did work with the drivers provided on the CD but since then all driver updates have render AC-3 audio useless on my system.
Yes, I believe this is a known issue with the last couple of drivers. ATI will be releasing new drivers soon.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

jpscfl

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2002
OK, you ATI shills... For the past several weeks NOBODY heard about my problem..."if it even exists..." And most of the solutions, as ridiculous as they sound were..."just don't use the AC-3 output!"

You can "wait for the new drivers" that ATI is working on day and night, just for us two unfortunates, or:

Check out www.theatertek.com (theater, not theatre). They are offering a solution that still uses all of ATI's features, except for the AC-3 output (even compatible with the remote!) . To use their solution, you need to get a soundcard that has digital I/Os. They suggested Phillips Acoustic Edge.

Now, there are apparently TWO of us in the world that have identical problems. Check out my previous post regarding "Radeon not able to play Dolby DVDs." You will see the same suggestions from that board on this one. Of course, the only working suggestion was to NOT use the Radeon's AC-3. You may want to contact Mr. Jay Marsden, the big cheese at ATI's tech support. Just don't use any "unprofessional" language (damn, crap, etc.)or he will send you a nasty email telling you they won't help you if you call them names. Also, don't waste your time contacting ATI's CEO, Mr. K.Y. Ho. He simply refers all complaints to Jay. I have kept a file of their worthless email responses if you need an example of what others say about: "ATI having the best support on the planet."

I wish you the best of luck. Dealing with ATI will be a test of your patience which you have never previously experienced! If you choose to deal with ATI directly, I certainly hope you have a great long-distance phone plan!