[SOLVED] Need help - Hewlett-Packard h9-1170t 715 - No output to monitor after GPU update (no screen output)

Apr 11, 2020
Hi all,

Hoping someone can walk me through if this is a GPU issue or a PSU issue.

I bought this computer new back in 2012, the rig has held up well until just recently the GPU, an AMD Radeon HD 7950, appears to have died. I got a purple screen, rebooted, then a brown screen and since then nothing. I put the card in another machine, no output, so I figure it is dead. It had a good life.

After poking around, I found that a good update should be a Radeon RX560 (Due to budget) However when I put it in my rig, there is no screen, it doesn't even detect it. Fans spin, everything else seems to be ok.

I put it in another rig, booted up with no issues. So I'm wondering if my PSU is starting to go and does not have the output? I'm at my wits end with this and do not have the capital right now to buy a new rig (It's on the wishlist though)

The only card I have been able to get to work is a Radeon HD 7700, runs straight off the MOBO, no extra power required. There is not an onboard GPU for this system, it runs solely on the hardware you install, so some of thee suggestions already made around the forum are not possible.

Help please!

Current specs:
Hewlett-Packard h9-1170t 715
Power supply 600W
Board: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2ACE 1.08
UEFI: AMI 7.15 09/17/2012
3.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3930K
16322 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1909 (build 18363.752)
Radeon Software version 20.1.3

Apr 11, 2020
Sounds like the PSU is going bad, which if its a OEM HP PSU then given its 8 year old age not surprising.

First, thank you for the prompt reply.

That was one of my thoughts, If that is that case, what should I try to replace it with? Do I try for the same 600W or should I upgrade slightly? PSUs are a bit more of a mystery to me on what I need and what I should get. And how do I know it's the PSU? Everything else works fine? Or is it the low draw on it?

Last edited:
That was one of my thoughts, If that is that case, what should I try to replace it with?

HP likes to use non standard stuff, so I cant really help you. On the product support page it does say "internal ATX " so if that is the case then any ATX PSU will work.

If you are on a budget or don't want to spend much then I would suggest a Corsair CX450 (Grey and Black label, not the version with green) or CX450m. If the 550 watt version is available for either models and its only 10 -20 bucks more then I would get 550 watts.

You then may want to consider a new mobo, cpu and RAM combo down the line.

Apr 11, 2020
HP likes to use non standard stuff, so I cant really help you. On the product support page it does say "internal ATX " so if that is the case then any ATX PSU will work.

If you are on a budget or don't want to spend much then I would suggest a Corsair CX450 (Grey and Black label, not the version with green) or CX450m. If the 550 watt version is available for either models and its only 10 -20 bucks more then I would get 550 watts.

You then may want to consider a new mobo, cpu and RAM combo down the line.

Thanks for the help though. I'll do some digging and research and see about a new power supply. Will 550W really be enough?

My goal is to build a new rig down the line and then get around 10 years out of it :)

Thanks for the help though. I'll do some digging and research and see about a new power supply. Will 550W really be enough?

My goal is to build a new rig down the line and then get around 10 years out of it :)

450 would be enough for what you have now and most future lower end gaming rigs. if you plan on getting anything more powerful like a GTX1080, RTX2070, RX5700 etx down the line I would suggest quality 550 (like the Corsair TXm/RMx, Seasonic Focus G Series, EVGA G2) or a 650 watt if its a budget PSU like the Corsair CX's I mentioned.

Be sure to check eBay or Facebook Marketplace for used components, power supplies can be a little iffy to buy used so keep that in mind so make sure if it doesnt work the seller will give you the money back. But everything else especially CPUs, Mobos and RAM can be had very cheap. First generation Ryzen 1600 are going for around 50 USD right now which is a good price for them, same goes for B350 motherboards which are around 30-40 USD.

Reactions: luckalaska
Apr 11, 2020
Is my BIOS version going to be a problem? I saw on some other threads that unless you have a version 8 or greater, some cards will not work with the older Motherboards. I do know my PCI slots are only gen 2, but the new cards are backward compatible (thank goodness)

Looks like I can replace the power supply for under $100, thanks for the tip. I'll see if that fixes the problem and lets me limp along until I can build a better rig.

Edit: A friend has a
BFG Tech BFGR650PSU 650W ATX12V V2.0 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply that he will give me, would that suffice you think?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020
Update: New PSU is installed, however, the GPU will not work. When installed the computer powers on, then gives me 6 beeps in succession. I pull the card and put the older card I'm using in and there is no issue.
Doing some sleuthing, it looks like it's a BIOS issue since my Motherboard doesn't go above 7.15 version. :( So sad, now I have a GPU brick.

Any suggestions to get a GPU that will work in my older machine? I can't afford to update the Motherboard right now.