Question Need help! How could i hook up my 5.1 surround a amazon fire stick 4k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack4404

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
So i have a Jamo 5.1 surround system hooked up to my sony sdr de515 amp. Its quite old so no HDMI or anything like that only RCA out. At the moment i just have a rca left and right to aux into my laptop and stream 4k stuff through there on my https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-50-4k-hdr-led-tv-series-8-ju8100/ but i really want to get something like a fire stick 4k (Since i already have a few echo dots in the house) because of the remote and convenience. Although how can i hook up the 5.1 speakers to the fire TV stick? Or is there a better option to stream 4k Netflix and what not to my TV while being able to connect my speakers? Any help is appreciated thanks!

jack4404

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
Your Jamo - is it just speakers, or complete system with amplifier? Why you need audio out from your Sony?

As for options - you need either a new receiver where to plug everything in, or new streaming box with outputs compatible with your current audio setup.
The jamo is just the speakers the amp is the sony. I don't know why i would have audio out from my amp, i just assume thats what i have to do. How else do i connect the tv to my 5.1? Id rather not get a new reciever so would something like this work?https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HGHNCM...c6-5371-11e9-8a77-f188713467c0&tag=linus21-20
So from the reciever to that adapter to toslink into the tv? Would that work? Im just not too sure this is all new to me. Thanks for your reply.

The whole gist is, you gotta do this: Source ---- (must be digital, often Optical) ----> Surround Decoder -----> multi-channel Amp.

Surround decoder and amp usually in one box but can be separate boxes.

What the dickens is Surround Decoder? The box that gives you control of what codec (mode) to use, Stereo, Dolby Digital, DTS, blah-blah.

jack4404

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
The whole gist is, you gotta do this: Source ---- (must be digital, often Optical) ----> Surround Decoder -----> multi-channel Amp.

Surround decoder and amp usually in one box but can be separate boxes.

What the dickens is Surround Decoder? The box that gives you control of what codec (mode) to use, Stereo, Dolby Digital, DTS, blah-blah.
Yeah my amp definitely has the surround decoder it has the option to change that stuff. So if i do all that the audio from the fire stick will still come out of my 5.1 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.