Need help lowering ping

gsinger

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
As the title suggests I need to inquire on how I lower ping or "stabilize" my ping when I am playing games like Dota 2, Homefront, Counter Strike.

I currently live in Indonesia, however I am connected on fibre-optics with a download speed hitting between 25 - 30 MBPS, while upload ranges drastically between 4 - 16 mbps (often remains stable at about 5 - 6ish).

Whenever I play on Dota 2, I use the SEA server with ping about 35 - 40ms, however often times it feels im playing with latency of 200 - 300 ms, as I will move my hero to a certain point but there will be a 2 - 3 second delay before it registers (or the game seems as if it freezes and suddenly im at the position, hardware wont be the problem)

The same problem is felt with Homefront, I play with 200ms ping, however it feels drastically greater as I will often seem as if Im skipping (e.g. moving to a building, aiming for the door, suddenly stuck at the side for some reason).

The one game that is stable is WoW, and I do play at 150 ms ping, and there seems to be no problem whether I am in a low-populated area or a heavily-populated area.

I also feel the internet can be unstable at times, as despite these high speeds, It may even take 20 - 40 seconds for a webpage to load (text only) and up to 2 minutes (with pictures dependent on size).

Would someone please shed insight as to why this is happening, and what the solutions are. Some of my friends have stated using VPNs like WTFast and the like maybe helpful.

Solution
There is nothing you can do. Sorry to be that blunt about it. The issue is totally your ISP's network and the world wide network it connects to for your connection to the game server(s). That is to say 100% outside your system and in house connections. Factors at work here are: Your proximity to your ISP's servers; the geographical location between the ISP servers and the game servers; the route that your connection to the game servers takes; the servers and switches along that rout; the traffic loads on your ISP servers and the servers/switches on that rout. Since the routing of your connection to a game server is automated by internet protocols and standards there is nothing to be done about it. You might try contacting your ISP and...

Dogsnake

Distinguished
There is nothing you can do. Sorry to be that blunt about it. The issue is totally your ISP's network and the world wide network it connects to for your connection to the game server(s). That is to say 100% outside your system and in house connections. Factors at work here are: Your proximity to your ISP's servers; the geographical location between the ISP servers and the game servers; the route that your connection to the game servers takes; the servers and switches along that rout; the traffic loads on your ISP servers and the servers/switches on that rout. Since the routing of your connection to a game server is automated by internet protocols and standards there is nothing to be done about it. You might try contacting your ISP and see if they can help but that is a long shot.

Solution