Question Need Help!! Msi b450m Tomahawk Max II, doesnt work with 4 sata devices

bernardomlaranja

Reputable
Aug 25, 2018
Yesterday i was sorting my awful cable management on my pc when i saw, a stuck sata cable, after some time and some careful work with my hands, i managed to take it out, but when i plugged my optical drive in into that slot, it didnt show up anymore. Fering i did to much strength and possibly broke the sata connector i decided to try another, didnt work also, this motherboard has connectors 3 and 4 together on top of another, as well as connectors 5 and 6, the stuck cable was initially connected to connector 5. I tried several combinations but to no evail, i can believe that i broke connectors 5 and 6, but what is strange is that connectors 3 and 4 are working fine individually but together they don´t work, the motherboard doesnt let me have 4 sata devices. Weird, i dont want to believe i broke the connectors i hardly pulled, but connectors 3 and 4 work fine individually its only when i connect both devices and ssd and an optical btw that only one of them shows up. Maybe i screwed the mb sata controller, but 1 and 2 are working fine. If anyone knows what this could be, it would help alot, i dont have any m2 slots and my bios version is H40, i will update to the most recent but i doubt that will make a change.

PC specs:
Ryzen 5 5600x (Stock)
Msi Tomahawk max II b450m
16 gb (2 x 8) DDR4 3200 CL16
GTX 1050 ti
650 w psu
1 HDD (sata)
2 SSD ( SATA)
1 OPTICAL DRIVE ( SATA)

Last edited:

bernardomlaranja

Reputable
Aug 25, 2018
Nevermind fixed it, i dont have an m2 installed, but i just the jumped the cmos reset and everthing came back to normal, im still going to update to the newest bios, anyone having this problem a cmos reset might fix it