Need help ?? no boot ? only fans work !!! warm CPU ?

vipmohaned

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I am using a pentium D820 ( 2.8, 2 MB cache ) , with MSI P945 brand new , just bought them now , i connected every thing correctly (10 systems before on the same specs ) , but there the PSU fan starts the CPU fan starts , and after about 7 seconds it stops by it self , i tried taking off every component , still no change ??
don't know what to do , it's my best friend's pc and i don't know if i screwed it up ?

HELP PLZ :oops:

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Does it boot to Windows? Does the fan start if the heatsink gets sorta hot to the touch? Let it go for a minute or so and see if the fans spin up. Could just be a slightly off temp sensor. If the heatsink gets really hot to the touch kill the power and let it cool. Hard to fry a modern processor as long as you have the heatsink on.

ragekage18

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
MrsBytch wrote :
Classic sign of a overheating cpu. Either the hsf isnt installed correctly or maybe you forgot to take the plastic off the thermal compound on the hsf?

Yeah agree with you on this one. vipmohaned , you might have put too much thermal paste on also. Try taking the HSF off and cleaning it up and then reapply the thermal compound and put it back on.