need help on case fans

john_antonio

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
I need help..I currently have 1 Scythe Ultra kaze and a EVGA 650i ultra a1 motherboard.. I'm thinking of getting one more ultra kaze cause my case which is ULTRA E-torque has 2 120mm fan slots but my motherboard only has 1 CHASSIS FAN slot (i think)..i saw something labeled SYSTEM fan..

what is the difference between the two?

if the other fan's cable won't reach the slot in the motherboard, how can i power it up?

and also, what assembly pattern should the fans be?intake outake thing?

thanks!

Front and side= intake

Rear and top = exhaust.

Use a 4 pin 12v molex to power the fan if needed. If you plug a case fan into a MB header, the fan will show up in BIOS as a 'system' fan or whatever the MB header designates the connector as. Antec Tri power fans have a 3 position speed control built in and can be run with speed control from a 4 pin molex connector.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You plug the adapter into the Molex and plug the 3 pin fan into the adapter. The only adapter that has 2 Molex connectors is a pass through. One Molex is male and one is female. Use it if you are short on Molex connectors. The female side can still be used to power other things.

john_antonio

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
there are 4 things in the adapter..so 2 are: male and female molex..and then 2 are 3 pin: one is like the 3-pin with slots and the other is 3-pin with the pins...so how do i use them?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Are you talking about this image? If so that the heck are you talking about?

yhst-24067115789173_2015_42529039

Here's the deal, no matter what adapter you are talking about. Find the Molex on the adapter that fits into the Molex on the PSU and plug it in. Next find the plug on the adapter that the 3 pin fan plug fits into and plug the Fan into the adapter. Leave all other unused plugs alone.

DONE.

It's virtually idiot proof, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill, just plug it in and be done with it.

fantom-feltpen

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2008
none of my fans connect to my mobo except my cpu fan... they are all hooked up to my psu..... and btw not all psu's have molex... i had to buy adapters