[SOLVED] need help on my laptop which does not boot after upgrading to 32gb ram.

Jun 9, 2020
Hello, can someone help me with my problem with respect to my acer nitro 5 which does not boot after upgrading my ram from 8gb-32gb??

I have tried to insert the ram one by one and they work perfectly fine on the second slot. However, whenever I insert the 16gb ram in the first ram slot, my pc wont boot or even enter BIOS.

I also tried to put back the old ram into the first ram slot and tried to combine both new and old ram which perfectly works except when I put the new 16gb ram into the first ram slot which prevents my pc from booting up.

Any help would be appreciated, I really want to utilize both 16gbram due to the nature of my work. thank you very much!

P.S.
my laptop is upgradable to 32gb
all ram frequency are the same
no ram are faulty whatsoever
bios is updated
my main concern is regarding the first ram slot which prevents my pc from booting up whenever I put 16b ram.

Solution
hi, what could be the possible source of problem with first ram slot? because i have no idea as to what prevents my laptop for booting up. is there anything i could do in bios or whatsoever to make it recognize my ram other than those old 4gb ram? thanks
If slot is gone (rare occurrence) there is not much you can do. You will have to make do with 16 gb ram only which is still more than enough for today's games, and games that will need 32 gb ram later after some years will not run on acer nitro 5 satisfactorily. Acer nitro 7 would have been better choice to play today;s games like Withcher 3 (its graphics demand is still high in 2020) on high and ultra. Do not worry about more than 16 gb ram as mostly games are demanding more...

Lutfij

Titan
What is the SKU to your Acer Nitro 5 laptop? Mind sharing a link to the ram you had prior and the rams you bought afterwards for your upgrade? You might want to see if you have BIOS updates pending for your laptop. Work your way gradually to the latest version if you have a number of them pending.

To note, we could use a link to the rams your purchased after.

Reactions: jang16
Jun 9, 2020
hello, i do not have the link about my old sodimm because it was included in the laptop when I bought it but i can give you the info: 2 sticks of ram also 2666mhz 4gb. anyway, here is the new ram that i bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAL3TYY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am currently using only 1 16gb stick of ram inserted in the second ram slot.

when it comes to BIOS, I just updated my BIOS to the latest and I think skipped like 4 or 5 old updates? is it a good idea to download the prior updates when the system says that i have the updated version? thanks

kinjalkishor

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017
If Laptop is not working with one 16 GB Ram in only first slot but works in 2nd slot, than 1st ram slot has trouble. Though it is recommended to have exact same model Ram (or preferably from a kit), but different ram also work mostly in dual channel. But in your case 1st Ram slot seems to be problematic. this happens rarely with motherboards's though.

Jun 9, 2020
If Laptop is not working with one 16 GB Ram in only first slot but works in 2nd slot, than 1st ram slot has trouble. Though it is recommended to have exact same model Ram (or preferably from a kit), but different ram also work mostly in dual channel. But in your case 1st Ram slot seems to be problematic. this happens rarely with motherboards's though.

hi, what could be the possible source of problem with first ram slot? because i have no idea as to what prevents my laptop for booting up. is there anything i could do in bios or whatsoever to make it recognize my ram other than those old 4gb ram? thanks

kinjalkishor

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017
If slot is gone (rare occurrence) there is not much you can do. You will have to make do with 16 gb ram only which is still more than enough for today's games, and games that will need 32 gb ram later after some years will not run on acer nitro 5 satisfactorily. Acer nitro 7 would have been better choice to play today;s games like Withcher 3 (its graphics demand is still high in 2020) on high and ultra. Do not worry about more than 16 gb ram as mostly games are demanding more GPU memory these days instead of Ram. Earlier it was 1/4th GPU memory of total Ram, now a days it is almost more than half gpu memory required compared to Ram. More ram is useful for video editing etc, but I assume you have bought Acer Nitro for gaming. Also for really high performance work like video editing etc people mainly use far more cheaper and powerful desktops. Laptop gaming has biggest benefit of mobility, but assembled desktop has benefit of price to performance factor. mostly desktop is half the price of equivalent laptop, and still performs more due to thermal throttling and bit lower power version (10% less) components than desktop versions.
You can try service center also for checking ram slot, maybe your ram slot is ok and there is some other problem.

Solution
Jun 9, 2020
If slot is gone (rare occurrence) there is not much you can do. You will have to make do with 16 gb ram only which is still more than enough for today's games, and games that will need 32 gb ram later after some years will not run on acer nitro 5 satisfactorily. Acer nitro 7 would have been better choice to play today;s games like Withcher 3 (its graphics demand is still high in 2020) on high and ultra. Do not worry about more than 16 gb ram as mostly games are demanding more GPU memory these days instead of Ram. Earlier it was 1/4th GPU memory of total Ram, now a days it is almost more than half gpu memory required compared to Ram. More ram is useful for video editing etc, but I assume you have bought Acer Nitro for gaming. Also for really high performance work like video editing etc people mainly use far more cheaper and powerful desktops. Laptop gaming has biggest benefit of mobility, but assembled desktop has benefit of price to performance factor. mostly desktop is half the price of equivalent laptop, and still performs more due to thermal throttling and bit lower power version (10% less) components than desktop versions.
You can try service center also for checking ram slot, maybe your ram slot is ok and there is some other problem.
Thanks a lot, very nice explanation!