[SOLVED] Need help regarding Router

Avik_b123

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2014
Hello. I'm planning to buy TP-link Archer C6 Router. Now the website has written that this has 1× Gigabit WAN Port and 4× Gigabit LAN Ports.

Now one of my friends owns this. So I wanted to test the LAN connection. I used a CAT 5E network cable to connect my laptop with the Router. But the Ethernet Status shows 100 Mbps. I have changed the Speed and Duplex settings to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex. Still, it is showing 100 Mbps.

Need help. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

P.S. The Ethernet port of my laptop belongs to Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller

Solution
Lots of people with bad cables. Lots of people buy those flat cables because they are cheaper but the wires are too small and one of the symptoms if this problem. TPLINK does not actually make the chips that do this function. The ethernet speed negotiation is almost 100% done by hardware. Many brands of routers especially on these very common low/mid grade models use the same chips. Tplink also provides very good support so it is highly unlikely it is a router design problem, especially on older technology like this.

It is TPlink Firmware , he needs to manually force it to be 1Gbit speed ... by default it runs 100Mbits.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
How long is the cable?

Try another cable, preferably a pre-fabricated Cat5e or Cat6 cable. Older or some homemade cables may have a pin or two not connecting properly or terminated incorrectly.

Keep everything on auto for the port configuration on both the router and the laptop. They will almost always negotiate the fastest speed both systems can achieve, which is 1gbps in your case.

Avik_b123

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2014
How long is the cable?

Try another cable, preferably a pre-fabricated Cat5e or Cat6 cable. Older or some homemade cables may have a pin or two not connecting properly or terminated incorrectly.

Keep everything on auto for the port configuration on both the router and the laptop. They will almost always negotiate the fastest speed both systems can achieve, which is 1gbps in your case.

Tried that. Also to note that I have used that same cable to connect my laptop with a PC directly. In that case, it is showing 1 Gbps. Can you confirm that the Archer c6 indeed has the Gigabit Lan ports or not?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c6/#specifications

It says they are gigabit.

You likely have a defective cable. Could be one end is just barely making contact internally. They will work on some machine and not others. It could also be that you have a fake cable. Amazon is full of fakes cables. You need cat5e or better but much more important the cable must be pure copper (no CCA) and must have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

Most quality cable this information is printed on the size. You will see it market TIA/EIA which means they paid to have the cable manufacturing certified. Many times it will tell you the wire size and many cables you will find the letters CU which means it copper.

Lots of people with bad cables. Lots of people buy those flat cables because they are cheaper but the wires are too small and one of the symptoms if this problem. TPLINK does not actually make the chips that do this function. The ethernet speed negotiation is almost 100% done by hardware. Many brands of routers especially on these very common low/mid grade models use the same chips. Tplink also provides very good support so it is highly unlikely it is a router design problem, especially on older technology like this.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
I have a couple of 2m flat cables that came with the ISP-supplied modem. They don't even have any Category or brand markings but to their credit, they can do 1Gbps reliably.

It's not to say I'd use them in mission-critical equipment, but they are versatile when you need a cable going though gaps under a door or cupboard.

Purely luck if they work. They are not manufactured to any standard so they vary greatly between manufactures.

This is one of those fundamental things. The standard says the wire MUST be size 22-24. Flat cables use 31 many times. So this immediately means the cable is not actually a ethernet cable. It can look like one and plug into jacks but it will never be a certified ethernet cable.

Amazon stops them from sell fake purses but they seem to allow all this garbage cable to be sold.

The only reason they get away with it is the cables work at shorter distances at least when they are first sold. The ends tend to work loose much more easily.

Too many people looking at only price and not what they are actually buying. Copper metal is expensive so thinner wires will be cheaper but you are not actually buying a true ethernet cable.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019

It is TPlink Firmware , he needs to manually force it to be 1Gbit speed ... by default it runs 100Mbits.

Reactions: Avik_b123
Solution