[SOLVED] Need help wiring 5v argb lights

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I am trying to wire my led lights on my distro plate. I have a argb hub I know where to attach 5v light wire on hub but where do I connect hub to motherboard so I can control the lights? I have a Asus x299 mark 2 motherboard where do I attach the 3 pin 5v rgb header on the motherboard?

Solution
This is your first mention of an EZDIY Controller. From what I can tell, their products ALL use NON-standard connectors at their Controller to feed their fans. They use a SINGLE cable from their Controller to their fan, with 5 or 6 wires in that cable for the combined signals required.

The "standard" way fans with ARGB light work is that they have TWO cables to them. ONE is a standard fan power connection to a mobo fan header (usually 4-pin) and that is ONLY for the motor. The other is only for the LIGHTS in the fan frame, and for ARGB it would have the 3-pin (4-1 configuration) connector. Your light strip in the distro plate has ONLY that latter connector, except that apparently its does not have one hole blocked off. I fully expect...

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
i told you i did find out which pin does what on the controller and the rgb light strips 4 pin connector. Only want to know if it would be ok to use this controller i mentioned because i can manually change the light color and the effect with buttons. so if i know which way to plug the 4 pin connector to the 3 pin connector on the controller will i be ok to do it this way for now?

i was asking about that controller because even without a rgb header i could connect the controller to a usb 2.0 connection on the motherboard so all data is sent so i can control the rgb lights and if i wanted to connect fans it could send rpm of fans and speed control.

i also just got a email from the manufacturer of the rgb strip.

is a 4pin connector but it is for a DRGB 3pin header. There is a little arrow on the connector which shows where the 5V pin is, make sure this goes in line with the 5V pin on your motherboard.
Let me know if you need further information.
Thanks very much.

Best regards,

so the arrow is the 5v wire. so i should be able to connect it.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Wooops! We're back into confusion. You told us originally you were trying to connect this one light strip in the distro plate to a Hub. I confused you by saying I suspected it was really a Controller, but I was wrong. When you showed us your item in a link to an Amazon page, I realized it really is just a Hub with six sets of ports - a fan motor port and an ARGB lighting port in each set. Then you told us you have an ARGB output port on your video card which is being used for that card's liquid cooler system rad fans, which have a daisy-chain connection system for their lights. So that provides a standard male ARGB port to plug into. Later you said you also have other lights and fans connected to Corsair hardware, and are using iCUE with that.

Now you say you want to plug that one light strip into a "controller". IF you mean that original black circuit board Hub with clear plastic covers, you do NOT need to use it at all. It appears that the light strip connector configuration HAS been confirmed now by its supplier as being a standard connector with the small exception that the hole for Pin #3 is NOT blocked off. So, as long as you turn that connector so the END with the ARROW connected to the end of the male output from the second rad fan with TWO pins side-by-side, it is correct and will work. You now do NOT need to experiment to identify all the light strip connector holes. And you don't need anything on the Hub. The male output connector from the second rad fan provides what you need.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
so connect the 4 pin female with 3 wires from the light strip to the 3 pin male connection that is on the daisy chained wire coming from the radiator fan? so just connect those 2 together and thats it?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Ok I have confirmation from both manufacturers that the pin that the arrow is pointing to on the connector is the 5v one. So I know what way to plug all the connectors no matter if I use the hub or the gpu's daisy chained rgb wire that has a available connection .

I have a few different options. I can connect the distro plates rgb lights with the 4pin female 3wire 5v connection directly to the gpus daisy chained available connection or I can use that ezdiy controller which has manual buttons to change the lights colors and effects.

Which one would be best?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
This is your first mention of an EZDIY Controller. From what I can tell, their products ALL use NON-standard connectors at their Controller to feed their fans. They use a SINGLE cable from their Controller to their fan, with 5 or 6 wires in that cable for the combined signals required.

The "standard" way fans with ARGB light work is that they have TWO cables to them. ONE is a standard fan power connection to a mobo fan header (usually 4-pin) and that is ONLY for the motor. The other is only for the LIGHTS in the fan frame, and for ARGB it would have the 3-pin (4-1 configuration) connector. Your light strip in the distro plate has ONLY that latter connector, except that apparently its does not have one hole blocked off. I fully expect that you can NOT plug that into a port of the EZDIY Controller because that port will NOT have the right pins or layout. Moreover, we do NOT know that those port pins are - EZDIY does not tell us that info.

So, connect that strip to the output from the video card's rad fan. Then your light strip's display patterns will be synchronized with the rad fans'.

Reactions: kwikvinny
Solution

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
ok ill try it that way. its a EZDIY Product Code: ED-AC-LCB-01B. it does have the right connection a 3 pin 5v connection and comes with adapters to make it male or female and split the connection 3 ways. it has buttons if you dont connect to motherboard so you can control light colors and effects. but im going to try it on the gpu and ill let you know.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
good news is that it worked connecting it to gpu. Bad news is i burnt out half the rgb strip when i hooked up the rgb controller wrong previously by hooking up the wrong power interface instead of the sata it must of burnt the controller and some of the lights because only 3 led lights light up lol. no big deal though i ordered a new strip its cheap enough.