[SOLVED] Need help with a wireless adapter purchase

nsellenbrown96

Commendable
Apr 13, 2018
Hi

I recently upgraded my wifi in my house to a 500mbps package, however it seems like my connection isnt as stable. I play a lot of games and I am getting pings lower than I ever have but I will get random spikes.

I know it would be ideal to use ethernet but the way my house is set up doesn't really allow for that. Therefore my PC is on the floor above the router.

I build the PC a while ago and have this motherboard and am using the stock wifi adapter that comes with it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HS3HGCJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was thinking about purchasing this to see if it helps: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0752Y8...psc=1&ascsubtag=trd-gb-1385490321911501600-21

I don't know much about wifi adapter specs etc, could someone please let me know if they think this would help my situation, is quite a lot to spend on an adapter if its not going to solve my issue.

Thanks

Solution
Hard to say the advantage of the USB device is that you can place it away from the metal computer case. That particular USB device is full power device if I remember correctly. Generally internal PCI cards are better for radio output. Many USB devices are designed to go on portable equipment where batter drain is a large concern.

Since games are you main concern I would not use wifi. Explore the possibility of putting in a ethernet. Your other options are powerline networks which maybe a bit slower than wifi but will be very stable. The other option if you have television coax in both rooms is to go with moca. The newest moca adapters can get gigabit rates in many people house. Moca is also much more resistant to...

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
The AC1900 should be pretty good. I find that the inbuilt wifi6 adapters are pretty good.

I've put an EX7000 wifi extender in my house roof so that I get good coverage all through the house. My ISP router is pretty good too.

I used a wifi analyser from play store to work out the weak places around the house till I worked out where to locate the extender.

nsellenbrown96

Commendable
Apr 13, 2018
Thanks for the reply, would you say for the purpose of 1 desktop is it worth getting the whole extender? or do you think the AC1900 would give the same performance for the single device?

Hard to say the advantage of the USB device is that you can place it away from the metal computer case. That particular USB device is full power device if I remember correctly. Generally internal PCI cards are better for radio output. Many USB devices are designed to go on portable equipment where batter drain is a large concern.

Since games are you main concern I would not use wifi. Explore the possibility of putting in a ethernet. Your other options are powerline networks which maybe a bit slower than wifi but will be very stable. The other option if you have television coax in both rooms is to go with moca. The newest moca adapters can get gigabit rates in many people house. Moca is also much more resistant to any interference issues than wifi.

Solution
They will likely work but these are "different" devices.

Long ago powerline units all used proprietary stuff so you could not mix unit from different vendors. Now years later they have all started to use a standard called home plug. These are the AV-500 and av2-1000 etc you see.

The units you link decided not to follow the common standard and started using a different one called g.hn. There really is only 1 manufacture even though they sell them under a couple brands.

Not sure why this was done the technical aspects of the 2 are very similar but they are incompatible.

If you would say need a third unit or need to replace a unit make very sure you buy exactly the same brand an model when you are using g.hn devices.

nsellenbrown96

Commendable
Apr 13, 2018
Thanks for the help guys, I went with those Devolo powerline adapters. I was a bit skeptical at first. Down speeds are slightly down but not noticably, but stability whilst gaming has been perfect so far so thanks!