Question Need help with CPU choice

apollosoccer99

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
I have had the same pentium g4560 now for 2 years and i'm looking to upgrade. I'm looking to buy an i5 but need help choosing one. I have a msi h110m motherboard with a 1151 socket and ddr4 ram. any good suggestions? looking for something around the 200$ range.

this is like my fourth account on this site I always forget my passwords but members have helped me build my PC in the past.

If you update the BIOS, guessing with the G4560 you have, then you can grab 7th gen CPUs. You can get a 7500 new for 205, you might get a 7700 used on a better deal though. Considering you can’t OC a K chip might not be the best option but they are slightly faster out of the box if you can get one on eBay or somewhere used.

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
You really dont have much chance with that motherboard. The 6 and 7 gen cpus are the worst thing ever. I would sell the motherboard and get b360 with i3 8100 or spend a little bit more and get i5 8400

7th gen I7 CPUs are decent at single threaded workloads, but since you have an H110 motherboard, you cannot overclock the CPUs to get the most out of the single threaded performance.
Also, since your CPU support tops out at 4 cores, you won't have great multithreaded performance either.
Since you are currently using DDR4, I would go out and buy a new motherboard and I5 or Ryzen 5.
You could wait for 3rd gen ryzen even.