[SOLVED] Need help with encyption

Shaun98

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Hi, I have recently encrypted my system drive using veracrypt but I have multiple other drives for storage of games and files.

What im trying to do is encrypt all my hard drives and backing them up to back blaze. How would I be able to back them up without anyone else gaining access to my files? I thought the encryption would solve this but I can't see the drive unless I mount it via veracrypt and i presume if I backup the drive after Ive mounted it with the encryption key, the files will just backup as if there was no encryption anyway.

I'm completely new to using veracrypt and any other encryption software

If anyone can help me that would be great!

Solution
Backblaze should be doing all the following without your interaction.
  • Encrypting a file prior to sending (I'm assuming this is a duplicate that exists temporarily for sending purposes. I suppose it may encrypt it, send it, then decrypt it. That point isn't clear. Either way what is being sent is an encrypted file. Going by their explanation)
  • Sending said encrypted file over a secure SSL connection
  • Storing files on an encrypted disk on their end
  • Your encrypted files stored are associated with your accounts private key.
  • Optional: Create your own private key and encrypt said key with your own passphrase. Just be warned you better not lose this if you decide to. Because no one, including Backblaze, can retrieve your...
Backblaze should be doing all the following without your interaction.
  • Encrypting a file prior to sending (I'm assuming this is a duplicate that exists temporarily for sending purposes. I suppose it may encrypt it, send it, then decrypt it. That point isn't clear. Either way what is being sent is an encrypted file. Going by their explanation)
  • Sending said encrypted file over a secure SSL connection
  • Storing files on an encrypted disk on their end
  • Your encrypted files stored are associated with your accounts private key.
  • Optional: Create your own private key and encrypt said key with your own passphrase. Just be warned you better not lose this if you decide to. Because no one, including Backblaze, can retrieve your encrypted files if you lose your manually created private key and passphrase.
https://www.backblaze.com/backup-encryption.html

I couldn't fully answer your other question about Veracrypt though. My understanding is you have to unlock the volume to backup any contained files. While it is unlocked if someone can get past your computers security. Either bypassing the login window or gaining network access. Then those files in the unlocked volume would be susceptible to opening and copying. So, you'd still want to follow good security procedures (latest OS updates, security patches, good password, network firewall, good WiFi key, &c).

Solution
Backblaze has built in data encryption so no one but you will have access to your files.

That said, you can't backup encrypted files. You have to unlock them to read them thus the encryption is open. Its an issue we are dealing with in terms of encrypting our data stores while still using our backup softwares.

Hi, I have recently encrypted my system drive using veracrypt but I have multiple other drives for storage of games and files.

What im trying to do is encrypt all my hard drives and backing them up to back blaze. How would I be able to back them up without anyone else gaining access to my files? I thought the encryption would solve this but I can't see the drive unless I mount it via veracrypt and i presume if I backup the drive after Ive mounted it with the encryption key, the files will just backup as if there was no encryption anyway.

I'm completely new to using veracrypt and any other encryption software

If anyone can help me that would be great!

Full disk encryption is really only useful for business on laptops, for home use, encrypting a disk is not needed since to get to your files anyway someone needs to be in your house. Despite what people think, no-one is going to break into your house to steal pictures from Aruba when you got drunk and ran around naked at the bar and if you are worried about someone "hacking" into your system to steal your bank account, that is done when the system is actually in use or through just stealing your info from the bank directly.

If this is a laptop, and you carry it around, then you may want to encrypt it. For a desktop, it's just a placebo.

If you want to hide some files like your password info, you can just setup an encrypted container file for those files, much simpler to deal with.

TRENDING THREADS