[SOLVED] Need help with Linksys wrt54gr firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiki1234

Commendable
Oct 29, 2020
Hi fellas,

I recently received this router as a second hand, sadly encountered some problems.

My firmware is the first one(2006 one), because years passed Linksys doesnt provide anymore firmware updates.

Can anyone of you send some download link so i can update the router and hope fix my problems.

kiki1234

Commendable
Oct 29, 2020
Thank you for replying friend, in the folowing lines i'll try to explain my problem.

At first Router is working just fine, but at some time of the day from nowhere it disconnects one of my devices(smartphone,tv), and then if i connect again from the disconnected device to the same network it says to me that my network doesnt have internet and doesnt want to connect to it, at the same time as this is happening im watching netflix or youtube on other devices(tv for example) and at the same time i have internet?
What you mean, is there any fix for my problem except firmware update?
Also how about third party firmware updates, i can totally risk because however if i dont fix this issue i'll need to buy new one.
Thank ou for your help @USAFRet

kiki1234

Commendable
Oct 29, 2020
I've founded two fixes for my problem but the two of them are awful,
1st: i reset my router and then recconect from all my devices, this way ill use perfect internet for minimum half an hour.
2st: i use iPhone 8 plus as daily, and in the network options there is option to use private adress, so if i lose connection on my iphone i go and turn on the private network toggle, vice versa this way i get internet connection for my iPhone without doing the first option.
i hope i helped with the explanation.

You best bet is to check the dd-wrt site. That router I think also can load other third party firmware like openwrt or tomato. You will have to search for a older image that does not have all the current features. There are smaller images but those sites are a massive mess so you need to dig.

At some point you put things in the garbage can because it is not worth your time. You can get a brand new router from a company like tenda ac1200 for under $20. You can also get much more powerful used router for that price range on places like ebay.

The router you have is 3 full generations old.

Current is 802.11ax what they now call wifi6. 802.11ac is wifi5. 802.11n is wifi4 and what you have is 802.11g which is wifi3.

You should be able to find 802.11n device almost for free. I helped someone move and he tossed out a box with 4 or 5 of those routers.

Wireless G is obsolete and likely newer devices don't even bother to properly validate and test their products on wireless G. My bathroom scale wouldn't even connect to my nighthawk router, but worked fine on my asus router. It uses wireless G because it's more power effficient than wireless N.

You can get a cheap $20 wireless N router these days that would be better than that old linksys wireless G router.

kiki1234

Commendable
Oct 29, 2020
Can anyone of you guys spare download link for some third party software, or official one.
Gonna try to update, hope it will fix the problem, if it doesnt it goes in trash.

kiki1234

Commendable
Oct 29, 2020
rly, just wanna give a fix to this one, can anyone send some kind a download link for this router firmware?
Sry for being stubborn but i just bought this...

USAFRet

Titan
rly, just wanna give a fix to this one, can anyone send some kind a download link for this router firmware?
Sry for being stubborn but i just bought this...
googling for "wrt54gr firmware" leads to nothing.
That device is near 15 years old. The manufacturer has no "new" firmware. The popular 3rd party tools (listed above) don't work with it.

You have a doorstop.

Status
Not open for further replies.