Question Need help with mineral build up in my cooling system .

Mar 24, 2020
hey guys recently built a computer about 8 months ago .
im having some serious problems with mineral build within the water cooling system .
I realized my CPU temps were idling at about 75 -80
everything seemed fine . i thought maybe the thermal paste wasn't put on correctly . so i had to remove the cooling liquid from the system then i realise the tubes changed color as if their white coated inside . checked the thermal paste and that was fine . i opened up the cpu water block to see that it was super corroded . Now i tried to clean it as much as possible with a couple different methods online but still cant get in between the fins to clean them since theirs barely no space , i cant even fit a exacto knife . I then see all the liquid that i removed has flakes of white minerals inside . The cooling liquid used was thermaltake green liquid that is suggested for the system (thermaltake cooling system ) i now got rid of the liquid because it was contaminated with all this and put distilled water .
my CPU temps remain the same after the cleaning so i went ahead and orderd a new one but will definitely try different methods to salvage this one . so if anyone has any tips on what to do . how to flush all of this and get this out of my system . what might of caused this . i posted some picture so you guys can take a look . and give me youre opinions . thank you !

before cleaning

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I don't think the particulate matter is the issue unless there is more than being realized....which I'm not sure.

With a D5, there should be substantial flow in a loop of that design - it's pretty simple. How does your coolant flow look in the reservoir?

What is the pump speed set to?

Are GPU temps high or bad? Is it only CPU?

jasonf2

Distinguished
What you are seeing a a form of galvanic corrosion. The cause is typically the corrosion inhibitor package in the coolant being depleted or non existent. While the coolant should be flushed and replaced you may be dealing with flow issues related to buildup in the pump and/or internal dimensional changes around the impeller. For the pump to work as expected the impeller has to be very close to the housing. Corrosion can cause the housing to erode widening the gap and reducing flow. So while it still pumps water flow and static pressure losses occur. That heat exchanger also at the very least needs cleaned up. With all of that junk on there it is not getting enough surface area to perform as designed. Check everything in your loop that is made of aluminum. That white powder looks like aluminum corrosion. Do not run distilled water in there for any period of time. Galvanic corrosion occurs as the fluid moves over the metal parts in the loop. Without the corrosion inhibitors that are in a quality coolant it will greatly speed up the problem. Distilled water on its own will dissolve stuff from your loop almost instantly that will make it very conductive creating the current loop that makes the galvanic process work.

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The last block image looks like galvanic corrosion, but would be curious to know how long the loop has been setup like this. Also would need to know what fittings, blocks, rad, etc are in the cooling loop...Thermaltake has long been known to mix aluminum and copper/nickel.

Would be interested if the 'gunk' was calcified or solid/adhesive to the block or just soft/goopy in and around the fins.

If this is corrosion, distilled water will just make it worse as there are zero corrosive inhibitors in water whereas the coolant might have had 'some'.

It also could be coagulation of oils and manufacturing particulate with the coolant - I've also see this in forum images that looks similar.

Reactions: jasonf2

jasonf2

Distinguished
The last block image looks like galvanic corrosion, but would be curious to know how long the loop has been setup like this. Also would need to know what fittings, blocks, rad, etc are in the cooling loop...Thermaltake has long been known to mix aluminum and copper/nickel.

Would be interested if the 'gunk' was calcified or solid/adhesive to the block or just soft/goopy in and around the fins.

If this is corrosion, distilled water will just make it worse as there are zero corrosive inhibitors in water whereas the coolant might have had 'some'.

It also could be coagulation of oils and manufacturing particulate with the coolant - I've also see this in forum images that looks similar.
I think all are possible but the course of action still remains the same. Clean it out good and put a quality coolant back in and monitor. If it is inhibitor based this system will require more frequent coolant changes.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yep, would agree. Cleaning and flushing need to take place before refilling with good coolant (corrosion inhibiting).

This might also require a system cleanser flush like Mayhems Blitz.

From their site: DO NOT USE ON ALUMINIUM RADIATORS

which would need to be determined by the OP

Mar 24, 2020
I don't think the particulate matter is the issue unless there is more than being realized....which I'm not sure.

With a D5, there should be substantial flow in a loop of that design - it's pretty simple. How does your coolant flow look in the reservoir?

What is the pump speed set to?

Are GPU temps high or bad? Is it only CPU?

my gpu temps are still great . pump is automatic i would assume ? i wasnt aware of a manual pump speed option .
also coolant flow in the reservoir is moving but not that much .

Mar 24, 2020
Yep, would agree. Cleaning and flushing need to take place before refilling with good coolant (corrosion inhibiting).

This might also require a system cleanser flush like Mayhems Blitz.

From their site: DO NOT USE ON ALUMINIUM RADIATORS

which would need to be determined by the OP

i bought the whole set from thermaltake rad included . i cant find anything online that tells me if i can use the flush like mayhem blitz , which is my next problem .
https://www.thermaltake.com/pacific-m360-d5-hard-tube-water-cooling-kit.html