Need Help with my 800mhz PIII please help if u can

G

ok from my knowledge gained from this forum here is my computer :
DELL ( i did not make it :) )
800mhz PIII @797 (i used a WCPUID)
256mb PC133 RAM (not sure aobut the cas2 or cas3)
30 gb 100 ata 7200 rpm (think a generic brand ? not sure)
32 mb NVIDA TNT2 model 64

my current FSB speed is 133 mhz i wanted to maybe overclock to 150mhz? is there a program i can get to do this? do u think this is a good idea.

some concerns i have is i don't really understand clock multipliers (please explain if u know) but i guess the AGP port mhz also increase as well as the IDE ports so i am not sure if my video card will be able to handle the increased AGP port mhz
does any of that make sense? i guess what i need here is some general knowledge on this that i don't have so if u know how to clear things up for me that would be great i really wanna know more about this clock multiplier thing and the ratio and how i cna find out what mine is so i know how everything else is effected by overclocking my FSB and if this is even possbible for me to do at all

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The clock multiplier is simply a digital device that steps up the bus clock by the multiplier so that the CPU runs at its correct speed. The whole idea behind that is that the CPU processes certain low level instructions in order to do whatever you have it do. These instructions are simple like add and subtract and so forth. Each instruction requires a certain number of "clock cycles" of the CPU to finish. By increasing the CPU speed with the multiplier, these clock cycles finish faster so that the CPU can move on to the next instruction. You don't need to worry about multipliers with your Intel CPU so no biggy. The FSB will increase your system bus, but not by too much. You can't get 150MHz with PC133 RAM unless you are super lucky. You would need jumpers on your motherboard in order to OC, so check that out. The PCI/AGP bus is clock divided or the opposite of the CPU. If your bus is 66MHZ, your divider is 2 (66/2=33MHz PCI bus). The divider increases at 100MHz bus (100/3=33MHz PCI bus). At 133MHz the divider goes up again (133/4=33MHz PCI bus). The problem is going between these speeds. For instance you go from 100MHz to 110MHz like my friend's Duron. In this case the PCI bus divider is still at 3(110/3=36MHz PCI bus). So that is how it works. If you can get the PCI/AGP bus to run at higher rates (36MHz), the performance increases more overall because your entire system is transfering data faster...RAM, video, hard drive. With the multiplier, the CPU speed increases, but the other system parts still talk to it at the same speed. Got the idea?

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

G

yes u can o/c the 800eb.
i had mine running at 901 on an abit BE6-II no need for jumpers{soft menu III}
but it was'nt that happy with life so i wound it back down to 800.
should of got the 700e for o/c as i found out to late.

G

ok that does help, but aren't the rates for AGP and IDE different depending on each computer? or is the AGP always 1/3 of the FBS. and 2nd how come i can't go from FBS of 133 to 150 doesn't seem like that much of a jump

G

It's a matter of stability and EMI (Electromagnetic interference). The faster you bring up the FSB, the faster the PCI and AGP clocks are going. There's a reason they don't get increased as fast as CPU up their clock speed. It has to do with the physical size of the data channel (longer wiring in effect). This longer wiring basically acts as a much nicer antenna than the short paths in your processor. You start picking up and broadcasting much more interferrence from the buses. Since they're the data path for everything from processor to memory to expansion cards to hard drive, the added noise can quickly take your system from running smoothly to locking without notice randomly. The other part of it again scales to how long the paths are and that would be capacitance. Capacitance scales to surface area which increases with longer thicker wires/cables/etchings. Without going into the electrical theory behind it, capacitance acts like a resistor to AC current, getting worse with higher frequencies. Thus with higher clock speeds you get higher resistance which further degrades signal.

Now, on a post note all this comes from electrical theory (physics) and I've no direct knowledge that these are the biggest contributing factors but they seem to be best canidates.

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."

G

what exactly did u change on your 800 mhz P3 and why do u call it and eb? what does taht mean

G

800eb means it is a coppermine CPU (That is intels codename for the latest version of the pentium 3) and it runs on 133mhz bus.

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...

G

The 'eb' means you have a coppermine core running at a 133fsb speed. You may be able to overclock about 10%, but this will probably be you maximum.

This is how to do it:

Find more information about your motherboard. Can you adjust the fsb and multiplier by jumper settings or bios settings? Can you set the memory latency times? You need to know this first.

Now, your cpu runs at 133x6. The cpu will likely be multiplier locked, so to overclock, you can only increase your fsb speed. The agp bus will run at half of your fsb speed and all pci pereprials (including on board ide ports) will run at one quarter your fsb speed. Your memory runs at the fsb speed.

For every 4mhz you increase your fsb speed, your cpu will run 24mhz (4x6) faster. Your agp bus will run 2mhz faster and your pci bus will run 1 mhz faster. Your memory will run at the 4mhz higher speed. The weak link may be your memory. It may not be able to run very far over 133mhz.

Find out if you can increase to fsb speed past 133mhz. On a dell system it may be difficult.

Lotsa luck!

G

how do i get into the bios settings? and what is the difference between bios and CMOS?

G

Tank, you are one of the luckiest kid around, not knowing anything but have the money to simply buy whatever general people says is good.

I have a friend who is studying acoustics with me now and like you doesn't know much, couldn't care less. He is working on a final year project of a 24bit 96kHz high end DAC, the project costs him US$ round 4000.

To answer your quad pump P4.
It is like AGP4x, originally PCI BUS if I remember correctly is 32bit, quad = 4, pumping it means use 128bit instead.

Do you know what is bit? if not read some basic DITIGAL TECHNOLOGY textbook from the library.

So P4 has 100Mhz, but uses 4 times more bit values compare to P3, therefore transfering 4 times more data in the same time. Hence faster.

Good Luck in your learning, it will be an enjoyable one for you. At the end, you won't need to buy/read anymore magazine, because they are all crap.

not as detail as tom. Bye! :)

Best regards
cx5

G

how do i get into the bios settings?
Who know about your oem system?!
Read the <b>MANUAL</b>!

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>

G

If it is a Dell 4100 system, forget about overclocking. They provide no mechanism (jumpers or CMOS settings) to overclock. Your SDRAM is probably CAS3. Dell uses that alot in thier 4100 line.

If it is stable, and it does what you need it to do, don't mess with it.

You might want to consider either buying a new cpu, and or a new graphics card.

G

Hey cipher which MOBO do you have what cooling, open case or closed and which Manufacturer made the ram.
What video card.

AS for the Dell 800 the only way to overclock that system
is to solder and you dont want to do that.

G

well i can't really afford whatever i want so i am not that lucky :(. it's a long story how i even got this computer i have like no money :(

G

by the way thanks for the info i think i will just have to leave this computer alone as far as overclocking

TRENDING THREADS