[SOLVED] Need help with new system and Windows 10

Mar 22, 2020
Hi guys,

So i am upgrading my PC with new MB, CPU, PSU and RAM. I am going to reuse my SSD and HDD from my system now as I don't need to buy new.

My issue lies with windows and transferring it.

The PC i am using now was a pre built system and came with windows 10 installed on the SSD. In my settings I can see that it says "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your microsoft account" and through research I think that I can therefore reuse windows 10 on the basically new system (is that correct?).

Do I need to totally wipe all my drives before putting them into a new rig (my HDD has games on it and that's basically it)?

How does it all work with windows?

Could someone please explain it all to me and how to go about actually getting the PC to work once I've built it all?

Thanks and sorry for being so stupid!!

Solution
2 different aspects of this: Operation and Licensing.

For the licensing, since the existing license is already limked to your MS account, should be no problem.
After you build up the new PC and install the OS, go to your MS account and tell it about this new system.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

For the Operation...the actual install.
A fresh install is strongly recommended, usually required.

Build up the new system, put the SSD in it (only the SSD), and do a full wipe and reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan
2 different aspects of this: Operation and Licensing.

For the licensing, since the existing license is already limked to your MS account, should be no problem.
After you build up the new PC and install the OS, go to your MS account and tell it about this new system.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

For the Operation...the actual install.
A fresh install is strongly recommended, usually required.

Build up the new system, put the SSD in it (only the SSD), and do a full wipe and reinstall.

Solution