[SOLVED] Need help with Ryzen 5900 upgrade

vulka3

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
Hi guys,

As the title says I need some help with upgrading my system.

My current system:

CPU: i7-6700K
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti Extreme
RAM: 48 GB (2x8 + 2x16) 2666MHz Kingston HyperX Fury
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-HD3P-CF
Case: beQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900
PSU: Cooler Master 750W (Don't Know the exact model)
Main SSD: Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500GB
Monitors: 2x Dell 60Hz 1440p 16:9

So what I want to do is upgrade to AMDs new 5000 series, 5900X to be exact as this one's the best bang for the buck in my opinion.
What I'm afraid of is not knowing what Motherboard I should pair this one up with. I was thinking ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula which is not a cheap one at all.
Also, I'm not sure if I should get a newer one, one that's been made for the 5000 series particularly.
For now, I've chosen this particular Motherboard because of its IO, mostly the number of USB 3 ports, and because of its good reviews.

Another problem is the RAM. I read that the 5000 series are strongly dependant on the RAM so I would be grateful if anyone could recommend me something good, but not over the top since I have a limited budget, but I do need to have at least 32GB.

Last but not least, I need to know if my PSU is good enough. I check the power demand of my current CPU which is 91W and 5900 is 105W.
That's a really small difference but I still want someone who knows more than me to confirm it (not by comparing only the CPU, but the whole configuration.

I mainly use this PC for 3D applications, files management, Adobe Photoshop, After FX, Premiere, DaVinci Resolve, and occasionally gaming.

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S: I apologize if this thread is placed in the wrong category, I'm not really sure where it should be

Solution
Hi guys,

My current system:

So what I want to do is upgrade to AMDs new 5000 series, 5900X to be exact as this one's the best bang for the buck in my opinion.
What I'm afraid of is not knowing what Motherboard I should pair this one up with. I was thinking ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula which is not a cheap one at all.
Also, I'm not sure if I should get a newer one, one that's...
Hi guys,

My current system:

Also, I'm not sure if I should get a newer one, one that's been made for the 5000 series particularly.
For now, I've chosen this particular Motherboard because of its IO, mostly the number of USB 3 ports, and because of its good reviews.

Another problem is the RAM. I read that the 5000 series are strongly dependant on the RAM so I would be grateful if anyone could recommend me something good, but not over the top since I have a limited budget, but I do need to have at least 32GB.

Last but not least, I need to know if my PSU is good enough. I check the power demand of my current CPU which is 91W and 5900 is 105W.
That's a really small difference but I still want someone who knows more than me to confirm it (not by comparing only the CPU, but the whole configuration.

I mainly use this PC for 3D applications, files management, Adobe Photoshop, After FX, Premiere, DaVinci Resolve, and occasionally gaming.

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S: I apologize if this thread is placed in the wrong category, I'm not really sure where it should be
Although it would work on any B550 motherboard, an x570 would be preferred for 12 or 16 core. Doesn't have to be top of the line as price mostly depends on equipment on MB, not VRM capability.
Fast RAM is undeniably preferred, 3600MHz at least, best 216GB or even 232GB over 4 sticks as than memory may not run faster with all 4 channels of IMC used.
PSU, in your setup GPU uses most power so raise in power requirements for CPU is just minor thing, If it works with your present system, it will be fine with new one. Just one thing, PSU is not exactly "top tier" one and if 5 years old or older, I would certainly strive to get better and newer one.

Solution
The CHVIII are great motherboards and have a place but they don't at all fit in with the 'best bang for the buck' philosophy that's guiding your CPU choice. Their place is primarily for LN2 overclocking. With a feature set not only enables but excels at it but drives the price quite high and includes an incredibly capable VRM that will deliver reliable power to a 5950 processor approaching 6Ghz and 1.65V. All core. If that's not what you're aiming for then bear in mind the 5900, for all it's multi-core, thread pumping prowess, is remarkably power efficient when operated at stock.

Look at, or especially limit yourself to, X570 only if you have a need for a lot of Gen4 PCIe lanes because that's what sets it apart on the whole. There are several B550 boards that will do just as well...look at the Asus B550 ROG Strix line, the -A, -F, there's also a -E with WiFi if that's important. Also B550 Tomahawk. They all have more than enough VRM capability to handle a 3900, even if you do dabble in 24/7 overclocking. But if you want the top-end of B550 for VRM capability there's MSI's B550 Unify pair with 14 phases of ultra-efficient 90A DrMOS power stages and Asrock's Taichi.

For what it's worth, several reviewers are using B550 motherboards so don't fall into the trap that only X570 are capable of running 12 and 16 core CPU's. Greg Salazaar on Youtube did it because he wanted to show what the processor is like on something other than AMD's recommended configuration for the reviews. To be sure, there are ones to avoid, but there are X570 boards to avoid too.

Last edited:
Reactions: vulka3

vulka3

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
I'm not planning any kind of overclocking, I could say I'm an average user who works on this machine constantly and turns it off once every couple of months.

Something important that I forgot to mention about the MB and RAM is that I'm interested in quad memory channel ones. Is it worth it? Will I get a reasonable performance boost out of that? If yes then does that raise the price a lot? (I'm asking particularly for the MB, of course, I'll have to buy 4 sticks). And finally - any suggestions for quad memory channel MBs for the 5900?

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

I'm not planning any kind of overclocking, I could say I'm an average user who works on this machine constantly and turns it off once every couple of months.

Something important that I forgot to mention about the MB and RAM is that I'm interested in quad memory channel ones. Is it worth it? Will I get a reasonable performance boost out of that? If yes then does that raise the price a lot? (I'm asking particularly for the MB, of course, I'll have to buy 4 sticks). And finally - any suggestions for quad memory channel MBs for the 5900?

Thanks again to everyone for their help!
For Quad channel memory it's not enough for MB support but CPU support and that's found only on HEDT and server grade CPUs so you would need at least Trhreadripper 3000 CPU. Unless you use great amount of RAM you would not see any difference.

Reactions: vulka3