Question Need help with strange Internet speed issue

Jan 16, 2020
Hopefully someone out there can help, I'm at my wits end and can't figure out this problem. On my router, my internet speeds are topping out at 481Mbps down/24Mbps up. On my desktop, my internet speeds are topping out at 67Mbps down/18Mbps up. I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of and can't solve this problem.

Here's my current setup:
  • Cable Modem with 400Mbps Internet Ultra service
  • Netgear Nighthawk R8000P router (plugged into Cable Modem via Cat7 ethernet)
  • HP Desktop with AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.0Ghz processor (plugged into Router via Cat7 ethernet)
  • 32GB RAM
  • 1Gbps NIC
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Here's what I've already tried:
  • Install new 1Gb NIC (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • New Cat7 ethernet cable from desktop to router (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • New Cat5 ethernet cable from desktop to router (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Plug desktop directly into cable modem where router was plugged into (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Turn off and disable all WiFi devices in Windows including Windows WLAN services (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Disable onboard NIC in BIOS (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Update NIC drivers to latest (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Update motherboard BIOS to latest (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Upgrade processor from AMD FX-6100 6-core 3.2Ghz to AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.0Ghz (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Use GPEDIT to update QoS "Limit Reservable Bandwidth" and change to 0 (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Remove and re-install NIC in Device Mgr (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Edit Registry to delete all network profiles, reboot and re-establish network connection (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
When I've finally given up, I put everything back the way it was, run another speedtest from the router and I get approx. 481Mbps down/24Mbps up. Desktop speedtest then gets approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion the problem lies somewhere in the Windows 7 OS since I think I've eliminated and ruled out hardware as a possible problem, but I can't figure out what in the OS could be causing the issue.

Anyone have ANY suggestions for things I haven't thought of yet or what might be causing the issue???

did you try setting the NIC to force 1Gb or auto-negotiate?
seems like it may be set for 100Mbps.

Hopefully someone out there can help, I'm at my wits end and can't figure out this problem. On my router, my internet speeds are topping out at 481Mbps down/24Mbps up. On my desktop, my internet speeds are topping out at 67Mbps down/18Mbps up. I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of and can't solve this problem.

Here's my current setup:
  • Cable Modem with 400Mbps Internet Ultra service
  • Netgear Nighthawk R8000P router (plugged into Cable Modem via Cat7 ethernet)
  • HP Desktop with AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.0Ghz processor (plugged into Router via Cat7 ethernet)
  • 32GB RAM
  • 1Gbps NIC
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Here's what I've already tried:
  • Install new 1Gb NIC (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • New Cat7 ethernet cable from desktop to router (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • New Cat5 ethernet cable from desktop to router (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Plug desktop directly into cable modem where router was plugged into (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Turn off and disable all WiFi devices in Windows including Windows WLAN services (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Disable onboard NIC in BIOS (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Update NIC drivers to latest (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Update motherboard BIOS to latest (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Upgrade processor from AMD FX-6100 6-core 3.2Ghz to AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.0Ghz (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Use GPEDIT to update QoS "Limit Reservable Bandwidth" and change to 0 (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Remove and re-install NIC in Device Mgr (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
  • Edit Registry to delete all network profiles, reboot and re-establish network connection (No change in internet speeds - still approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up)
When I've finally given up, I put everything back the way it was, run another speedtest from the router and I get approx. 481Mbps down/24Mbps up. Desktop speedtest then gets approx 67Mbps down/18Mbps up.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion the problem lies somewhere in the Windows 7 OS since I think I've eliminated and ruled out hardware as a possible problem, but I can't figure out what in the OS could be causing the issue.

Anyone have ANY suggestions for things I haven't thought of yet or what might be causing the issue???

Jan 16, 2020
You've run quite a few tests. So here's one I usually use to help point me in the right direction. Boot up a linux live cd and run the same test. If you get the right speeds, it's some sort of software issue. If you don't, it's hardware.
Thanks for the suggestion but problem has been fixed. Turns out for some reason the TCP/IP stack was somehow corrupted and wouldn’t release the 70mbps limit. Found a tool online to reset the entire TCP/IP suite and re-establish connection. Speeds are now approx 340-380mbps down.

Jan 16, 2020
did you try setting the NIC to force 1Gb or auto-negotiate?
seems like it may be set for 100Mbps.
Thanks for the suggestion but problem has been fixed. Turns out for some reason the TCP/IP stack was somehow corrupted and wouldn’t release the 70mbps limit. Found a tool online to reset the entire TCP/IP suite and re-establish connection. Speeds are now approx 340-380mbps down.