Question Need help with system upgradation (GPU, PSU)

imti652

Reputable
Sep 6, 2018
My old pc specs are:

1. CPU: Core i5 6500
2. Mainboard: Gigabyte B150M D3H
3. RAM: GSkill 8GB DDR4 (2400 MHz)
4. Storage: Western Digital 1 TB HDD
5. PSU: Generic PSU (came along with the case; been using for 7 years without any issue)
6. GPU: Integrated

I didn't have any wish to buy a new pc or upgrade the old one. Nor do I have the budget to do so.

I have an opportunity to add a GPU to the system (Gigabyte GV N970G1 Gaming 4GB) for around $90. This card is used (6 years approx.) but runs without any issues.
I am thinking about taking the GPU.

I won't be overclocking or anything. I will mostly be playing games from 2014-2021. Maybe some screen recording with OBS

Will it be a bad idea?
Is my mainboard going to be OK for this card?
Which PSU should I buy? I don't want to spend too much on this since it is not that great of an upgrade in today's world. I have these two PSUs in my sight: Cooler Master Elite 500W & Gigabyte GP-P550B 550W

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
PSU: Generic PSU (came along with the case; been using for 7 years without any issue)
This is where you should mention the make and model of the PSU. You'd be best served by adding a picture of the stickered information found on your PSU. A bad quality PSU can take out more than just itself = you're going to have to buy a new PC(or innards for a PC).

Cooler Master Elite 500W & Gigabyte GP-P550B 550W
Could you mention where you're located and what sort of units you have access to or if possible a preferred site for purchase and a budget for the PSU purchase?

Your motherboard will accept any PCIe GPU on the market.

imti652

Reputable
Sep 6, 2018
PSU: Generic PSU (came along with the case; been using for 7 years without any issue)
This is where you should mention the make and model of the PSU. You'd be best served by adding a picture of the stickered information found on your PSU. A bad quality PSU can take out more than just itself = you're going to have to buy a new PC(or innards for a PC).

Cooler Master Elite 500W & Gigabyte GP-P550B 550W
Could you mention where you're located and what sort of units you have access to or if possible a preferred site for purchase and a budget for the PSU purchase?

Your motherboard will accept any PCIe GPU on the market.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. My current PSU, it is quite similar to this one. There is no brand name. As I said before, it came with the case. I live in Bangladesh and here, it is quite common to build a system with such PSUs if one is not using a dedicated GPU.

I looked up PSUs from Ryan's Computers. I am not really willing to go above 5000 BDT (maybe 5500 BDT) for a PSU, which is why I was thinking about picking either the CoolerMaster or the Gigabyte one.