Question Need help with the cables that run from PSU to GPU.

TheMightyBears

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
I just purchased a new 4070 Super. It comes with the new style power connector on the GPU itself. However, I have a last gen PSU. The good news is the GPU comes with a splitter that will allow me to plug the 4070 into my old SFF 650 PSU. The PSU has two 6 + 2 power connectors that are intended to run to a GPU. My understanding is that, it is best practise to have two separate cables plugged in to the PSU, and then to each end of the splitter - That's fine. I'm actually having difficulty locating such a cable in the UK though.

I looked on Amazon and there is a 6 +2 pin to 8 pin, male to male connector. However, the 6 +2 end is marked end is marked as "PCIE". The other end which is strictly 8 pin is marked "PSU" on most wires. I need the PSU end to be 6 +2, and the GPU end to be one solid 8 pin.

TheMightyBears

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
Can someone tell me more about the cable that comes with the new 4070 Super? I can see it is male on one end that plugs into the GPU. The other two ends appear to be female. Will I need two 8 pin to 8 pin connectors to link between PSU and GPU splitters?

awesome14

Prominent
Sep 3, 2022
You only need to know which PSU if it's modular. The other ends of the cables are standard. Graphics cards have basically 2 ty-es of power connections. Some use a 12V CPU motherboard power connector, and some use a PCIe connector.

The cable that came with the card has one of those that fits the board. Actually, I have a machine with 2 dual-GPU boards and 24GB ram each. Those have 2 power connectors each.

Most often if the card comes with a splitter, it's 2 PCIe into either one PCIe, or one 12V CPU mobo connector. The keying is different on different types of connectors.

When you get to the point where you're ready to connect power, push the connector in until it clicks. Then try to wiggle it. It shouldn't wiggle. If it does, investigate why.

Also, learn the names of the different connectors. You seem to know most of them. I build deep learning neural network rigs. I probably have every conceivable power adapter.

I have boxes full. So, if you figure out what you need, pm me, and I'll check if I have one.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You only need to know which PSU if it's modular. The other ends of the cables are standard. Graphics cards have basically 2 ty-es of power connections. Some use a 12V CPU motherboard power connector, and some use a PCIe connector.

The cable that came with the card has one of those that fits the board. Actually, I have a machine with 2 dual-GPU boards and 24GB ram each. Those have 2 power connectors each.

Most often if the card comes with a splitter, it's 2 PCIe into either one PCIe, or one 12V CPU mobo connector. The keying is different on different types of connectors.

When you get to the point where you're ready to connect power, push the connector in until it clicks. Then try to wiggle it. It shouldn't wiggle. If it does, investigate why.

Also, learn the names of the different connectors. You seem to know most of them. I build deep learning neural network rigs. I probably have every conceivable power adapter.

I have boxes full. So, if you figure out what you need, pm me, and I'll check if I have one.
What is true here relates to the end of the cables that connects to devices. Those are standard.

The end of the cable that attaches to the PSU can be very different, even if the physical connector type fits multiple devices.

This recommendation should not be taken as previously stated.

The forums are littered with threads, with catastrophic outcomes, where the wrong cables were used even though they plugged into the PSU.