[SOLVED] Need help with upgrade :)

Iosks

Commendable
Feb 27, 2019
Hi there.
I am upgrading my pc but I'm having trouble choosing a case. I want to use an AiO NZXT Kraken x63. The cases that I'm choosing from are:
Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Dark Tempered Glass
or
NZXT H510 or 510i
From what I learned I know that the CPU block should be lower than the radiator and that the best way to install an AiO is at the top of the case. The NZXT case has only space for 1 fan cooler. So my question would be. Can I install my AiO on the front of the NZXT case so that the radiator would be higher than the CPU block or should I go with the Fractal Design case that has more space for fans at the top.
My pc specs:
  • NZXT 510 or Define 7
  • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II
  • HyperX 16GB KIT DDR4 3200 MHz CL16 RGB FURY
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • RTX 2060 Founders Edition
  • NZXT Kraken x63
  • Seasonic Focus Gold 550FX
  • NOCTUA NF-A14 PWM Chromax Black Swap
Thank you kindly :)

edit:
should I think about upgrading my cpu to R5 3600? Just so I can switch my MOBO in time:)

Last edited:
Solution
The H510 will allow the highest point of the rad to be above the pump.

11-146-317-V02.jpg

Until you get a faster GPU, I don't think you need a faster CPU. The RTX 2060 is close to a 5600xt, performance wise, and a 2600x is capable of driving that GPU, without bottlenecks. I doubt a 2600 would be much worse, and can be slightly overclocked to match a 2600x. Just as an FYI, your board has a bios update, to handle an R5 5600x. https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-ii-model/helpdesk_cpu

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlfwXqODqp4&t=22s

logainofhades

Titan

11-146-317-V02.jpg

Until you get a faster GPU, I don't think you need a faster CPU. The RTX 2060 is close to a 5600xt, performance wise, and a 2600x is capable of driving that GPU, without bottlenecks. I doubt a 2600 would be much worse, and can be slightly overclocked to match a 2600x. Just as an FYI, your board has a bios update, to handle an R5 5600x. https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-ii-model/helpdesk_cpu

Solution

Iosks

Commendable
Feb 27, 2019

11-146-317-V02.jpg

Thanks very much. And should I mount the rad tubes up or down?

What do you wish to accomplish?

Yes, you can mount in front.
Usually the hoses are not long enough to have the exits at the bottom which would be best.
AIO coolers do not come 100% airless in the lines.
Over time air will intrude and that air will accumulate at the top of the system.
Having the pump mounted lower than the top will keep air from impacting the pump.
But, such a front mount is going to increase the heat that is used to cool the motherboard and graphics card.
Catch 22.

Your 2500 or 3600 for that matter will not benefit much from such cooling.
The supplied stock coolers are adequate.
If you need better cooling, a noctua NH-D15s at half the price will cool equally well.
It will be more reliable with no moving parts, it is exceptionally quiet, and easier to install.
And, while unusual, aio does on occasion leak with disastrous consequences to your other parts.

Any of your prospective cases are fine for air cooling.
Buy the one that visually appeals to you.

If you want to spend $150 or so on more RGB "bling" fine.
I would not.
On a cpu upgrade, that is a whole different subject.
If I presume your use is gaming, then much depends on the types of games you play.
The main difference between a 2600 and a 3600 is perhaps a 10% boost in single thread performance.
That will show up in cpu centric games such as sims, MMO and strategy games.
Fast action games depend most on graphics.
Unfortunately, fast graphics upgrade seem to be unavailable at anywhere near MSRP if you can buy one at all.
If you play multiplayer with many participants, upgrading to more than 12 threads would be good.

If you are curious, try reducing your graphics settings and play your games.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Your motherboard, with a bios update can run a 5000 series upgrade.
Considering the nice IPC improvement, that would be the better upgrade, if you can buy one.

Otherwise, see what intel 11th gen brings to the market in March.

Iosks

Commendable
Feb 27, 2019
What do you wish to accomplish?

Yes, you can mount in front.
Usually the hoses are not long enough to have the exits at the bottom which would be best.
AIO coolers do not come 100% airless in the lines.
Over time air will intrude and that air will accumulate at the top of the system.
Having the pump mounted lower than the top will keep air from impacting the pump.
But, such a front mount is going to increase the heat that is used to cool the motherboard and graphics card.
Catch 22.

Your 2500 or 3600 for that matter will not benefit much from such cooling.
The supplied stock coolers are adequate.
If you need better cooling, a noctua NH-D15s at half the price will cool equally well.
It will be more reliable with no moving parts, it is exceptionally quiet, and easier to install.
And, while unusual, aio does on occasion leak with disastrous consequences to your other parts.

Any of your prospective cases are fine for air cooling.
Buy the one that visually appeals to you.

If you want to spend $150 or so on more RGB "bling" fine.
I would not.
On a cpu upgrade, that is a whole different subject.
If I presume your use is gaming, then much depends on the types of games you play.
The main difference between a 2600 and a 3600 is perhaps a 10% boost in single thread performance.
That will show up in cpu centric games such as sims, MMO and strategy games.
Fast action games depend most on graphics.
Unfortunately, fast graphics upgrade seem to be unavailable at anywhere near MSRP if you can buy one at all.
If you play multiplayer with many participants, upgrading to more than 12 threads would be good.

If you are curious, try reducing your graphics settings and play your games.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Your motherboard, with a bios update can run a 5000 series upgrade.
Considering the nice IPC improvement, that would be the better upgrade, if you can buy one.

Otherwise, see what intel 11th gen brings to the market in March.
Hi.
Performance of my pc isnt bad but it could be better. I got a budget of 500eur to work on it. I failed to mention that i dont have the mobo, rams, cooler and case yet. I have a ITX mobo with a midi tower case and slow rams. The specs that i wrote down would be the parts i would upgrade to. The mobo i have is weak and small for the case im using, the ram is slow and well the case looks ugly.
I want to upgrade my pc because i dont want to have it under my desk anymore. I want to tune it up and make it look better. That is why i chose a AiO. It isnt as cluttered inside and the minimal rgbs would make it look nice. I want my build to be full black with some white rgb.
I am open for suggestions for what to upgrade :)