Question Need help with UPS

Kilichenko

Reputable
Jul 21, 2021
Hi,

I recently bought a UPS which is mercury elite 2200u smart ups 2200va 1320w.

I have one wall outlet where staying, so I use power strips to connect my devices and charge, my pc's power supply is around 1000w and I use 2 monitors.

Recently where I live, there's been a lot of power outage and I decided to get a UPS that should protect my pc and give me time to shutdown normally.

As being said, I use one power strip which my power supply, and the 2 monitors are plugged in it, then I connect it to another power strip which I have a fan and lamp plugged in this second power strip.

Can I plug the 2 power strips into the UPS and plug the UPS into the wall outlet or it'll cause problems?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Can I plug the 2 power strips into the UPS and plug the UPS into the wall outlet or it'll cause problems?
You did read your UPS manual, right?

Since if you did, you should know that using any kind of power strips is a big NO-NO with UPS.

With UPS, connection is simple;
Code:
           - monitor
Wall - UPS - monitor
           - PC
Desk lamp and floor fan does not need to be connected to the UPS. Since when power goes out, idea of the UPS is, that you can save all your work and safely shut down your PC.

UPS is NOT a power bank which you can freely use as long as it's battery lasts. If you want that, better get gasoline/diesel powered generator, that produces electricity while the main electricity is off.

Oh, since you got yourself cheap simulated sine wave UPS, it may not even help when power goes out. Since simulated sine wave UPSes aren't compatible with Active PFC PSUs (which your PSU is). Only true/pure sine wave UPSes are compatible with PC PSUs. E.g like CyberPower CP1300EPFCLCD, which i have.

Kilichenko

Reputable
Jul 21, 2021
You did read your UPS manual, right?

Since if you did, you should know that using any kind of power strips is a big NO-NO with UPS.

With UPS, connection is simple;
Code:
           - monitor
Wall - UPS - monitor
           - PC
Desk lamp and floor fan does not need to be connected to the UPS. Since when power goes out, idea of the UPS is, that you can save all your work and safely shut down your PC.

UPS is NOT a power bank which you can freely use as long as it's battery lasts. If you want that, better get gasoline/diesel powered generator, that produces electricity while the main electricity is off.

Oh, since you got yourself cheap simulated sine wave UPS, it may not even help when power goes out. Since simulated sine wave UPSes aren't compatible with Active PFC PSUs (which your PSU is). Only true/pure sine wave UPSes are compatible with PC PSUs. E.g like CyberPower CP1300EPFCLCD, which i have.
Thank you.