Need help with virus

Hi, I have a pretty big problem with my computer. I'm sure I have a virus,
but I dont know which one, because I can't open my virus scanner(I had
Mcaffee installed). I can't open system restore, internet explorer, or help
and support, but everything else works fine. Anyone know what I should do?
thanks

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"pierce" wrote:

| Hi, I have a pretty big problem with my computer. I'm sure I have a virus,
| but I dont know which one, because I can't open my virus scanner(I had
| Mcaffee installed). I can't open system restore, internet explorer, or help
| and support, but everything else works fine. Anyone know what I should do?
| thanks

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:547BB17B-4E07-4EA3-AD51-9B72DB9E56D8@microsoft.com,
pierce <pierce@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi, I have a pretty big problem with my computer. I'm sure I have a
> virus, but I dont know which one, because I can't open my virus
> scanner(I had Mcaffee installed). I can't open system restore,
> internet explorer, or help and support, but everything else works
> fine. Anyone know what I should do? thanks

Download a new AV product, install it, update it, and scan with it in safe
mode...

Virus:
www.grisoft.com - AVG
www.antivir.com - AntiVir
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

Spyware:
www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

Trojan:
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
http://swatit.org/ Swat It

In the Spyware category take two or three, they're small... :)

Galen