Feb 26, 2019
Hello,

Our church has services inside of a movie theater and we stream our service via FB on Sundays. Because we are inside of a theatre, we have low phone connection most of the time so the broadcast goes in an out (strong and clear vs.blurry and weak). We got a WiFi Hotspot but the connection to the hotspot is again very weak TO the hotspot, then in turn useless when connecting to the phone.

The only idea I have is to place the hotspot outside the exit door to get a stronger connection, then somehow connect that hotspot to the phone. While that seems easy enough. that connection would be up and down a cement stairwell about 40 yards from door to phone, so my concern is that we'd be in the same situation of weak connection. There is no place to plug into a hard wired connection, and no the theatre does not have Wifi LOL

Ideas? Suggestions? Would connecting the hotspot to a router work? We have a professional grade video camera that we use record the service for a player playback. Without using a HDMi cord can anyone suggest how to maybe connect the camera and phone together to just stream the same video?

Thanks in advance!!

Ralston18

Titan
Powerline adapters perhaps....

No way to know at all about what the theater's electrical circuits might be but I would expect that there are outlets inside the seating area. Probably scattered about for use while cleaning and vacuuming.

An electrical circuit that is common to the seating area plus lobby, stairwell, and exit areas (in some manner at least) may prove viable.

Feb 26, 2019
Powerline adapters perhaps....

No way to know at all about what the theater's electrical circuits might be but I would expect that there are outlets inside the seating area. Probably scattered about for use while cleaning and vacuuming.

An electrical circuit that is common to the seating area plus lobby, stairwell, and exit areas (in some manner at least) may prove viable.

Interesting.... is this different than the "extenders" that are now available? Do you think if I connect a router to the hotspot, then use an extender to connect to the router, I'd have a reliable connection? I'm concerned that I would be losing strength of connection with all the devices connecting.

Feb 26, 2019
You may be able to work with the venue owner to get some ethernet cable installed to allow you have your cellular connection in a favorable location.

Considering we're expecting to leave that venue within the next 6 months, that might not be a viable option. If we were there for the forseeable future, that would be a good option. Thank you!!

Ralston18

Titan
Actually not what I had in mind. However the concept is identical; that being to leverage the local electrical circuits.

Overall, there are a number of environmental factors that can make or break any given network. Especially if wireless is involved. I recommend as much wired as possible.

Yet if the electrical system is old then performance may suffer no matter what.

Powerline adapters - starter link:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-powerline-adapter-1846813

Then go to a couple of manufacturer's websites to read about the products, product specs, installation requirements, and configuration options.

Usually presented in the applicable User Guides/Manuals. Or an installation manual.

For both adapters and extenders. Read the fine print - there may be some caveats that will rule out any considered layout.

Get a sense of what "fits-in" now and what may provide the most options and flexibility with respect to the upcoming move.

Also what is the budget?

Feb 26, 2019
Actually not what I had in mind. However the concept is identical; that being to leverage the local electrical circuits.

Overall, there are a number of environmental factors that can make or break any given network. Especially if wireless is involved. I recommend as much wired as possible.

Yet if the electrical system is old then performance may suffer no matter what.

Powerline adapters - starter link:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-powerline-adapter-1846813

Then go to a couple of manufacturer's websites to read about the products, product specs, installation requirements, and configuration options.

Usually presented in the applicable User Guides/Manuals. Or an installation manual.

For both adapters and extenders. Read the fine print - there may be some caveats that will rule out any considered layout.

Get a sense of what "fits-in" now and what may provide the most options and flexibility with respect to the upcoming move.

Also what is the budget?

Budget would be less than $300 as this is a short term need. We are also looking at Switcher Studio to get better angles and maximize our videos, but that would still require a stable wireless connection that we don't really have.

Hello,

Our church has services inside of a movie theater and we stream our service via FB on Sundays. Because we are inside of a theatre, we have low phone connection most of the time so the broadcast goes in an out (strong and clear vs.blurry and weak). We got a WiFi Hotspot but the connection to the hotspot is again very weak TO the hotspot, then in turn useless when connecting to the phone.

The only idea I have is to place the hotspot outside the exit door to get a stronger connection, then somehow connect that hotspot to the phone. While that seems easy enough. that connection would be up and down a cement stairwell about 40 yards from door to phone, so my concern is that we'd be in the same situation of weak connection. There is no place to plug into a hard wired connection, and no the theatre does not have Wifi LOL

Ideas? Suggestions? Would connecting the hotspot to a router work? We have a professional grade video camera that we use record the service for a player playback. Without using a HDMi cord can anyone suggest how to maybe connect the camera and phone together to just stream the same video?

Thanks in advance!!

So here is the issue with connecting anything to a router, what will this router connect to? Are you talking about the movie theater ISP connection? To use any sort of connection outside of the cell phone data plans, you would need to have access to this ISP modem/router that the movie theater uses to run off their connection.

You can get a router that uses a cell data modem to connect to 4G, if you can do that, then you can use the WiFi on the router to stream, assuming the WiFi signal is good from where you can place that router to where you are streaming from. To use the powerline connection you will need to have one half by the router connected to the socket, then the other half in a socket in your area. They both need to be on the same power circuit to work.

Feb 26, 2019
So here is the issue with connecting anything to a router, what will this router connect to? Are you talking about the movie theater ISP connection? To use any sort of connection outside of the cell phone data plans, you would need to have access to this ISP modem/router that the movie theater uses to run off their connection.

You can get a router that uses a cell data modem to connect to 4G, if you can do that, then you can use the WiFi on the router to stream, assuming the WiFi signal is good from where you can place that router to where you are streaming from. To use the powerline connection you will need to have one half by the router connected to the socket, then the other half in a socket in your area. They both need to be on the same power circuit to work.

Hi,
Thanks, this is exactly what I was trying to explain and trying to get a better solution of. I put together a very rough drawing of the layout which might give a visual of the distance and concern of the connection strength. My ultimate question is: will these two connections (Cell/Hotspot to Router, then router to cell phone) weaken the connection and not be useful.
Theatre Diagram

Hi,
Thanks, this is exactly what I was trying to explain and trying to get a better solution of. I put together a very rough drawing of the layout which might give a visual of the distance and concern of the connection strength. My ultimate question is: will these two connections (Cell/Hotspot to Router, then router to cell phone) weaken the connection and not be useful.
Theatre Diagram

Not sure why you have the cell phone there, it would just be router with 4G data card and then you connect whatever you are streaming from to the router WiFi signal. If you need to put in yet another WiFi bridge or access point there to extend the signal, yes it will be slower, but signal would be stronger.