Need info on dual monitor setup

Jexta

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Hello! I am looking into a dual monitor setup and I would like advice.

I will be primarily gaming and I don't plan on my games being on both monitors like eyefinity or anything, I just want one monitor I can have my game playing on and another monitor off to side that I can have websites up on or youtube videos or streams.

any suggestions or tips or anything would be appreciated. Also, below is a few questions.

*Would the secondary monitor have to be the same type as my main gaming monitor or can i just grab any old monitor of any size or brand and be able to pull this off?

*Would watching streams on the secondary monitor cause game lag or any other problems that I should know about? If so, is there some way to prevent it; kinda like if you run game off one harddrive u can do stuff from the other without problems?

*with this setup is it possible to set a lock key of some sort so that while I am playing I can lock it so my mouse doesn't shoot to the other screen during intense play - and be able to just unlock it again during a break so i can move cursor over to other monitor to switch pages etc.

* Is there any special thing I have to do or do I just plug the second monitor in and it will display what my main monitor is already displaying and then I just move cursor to 1 or the other to start up different things?

Turtleshotz

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
*For what you're looking for any two monitors will work they don't have to be the same ones.
*If your watching streams on the second monitor it could lag you game if your CPU can't handle the load, what kind of CPU do you have?
*Most games are exclusive full screen meaning you can't move the mouse out of the game window without alt-tab or minimizing it, some have the option so that you can move your mouse over like WoW and Tomb Raider
*Nothing special really just plug them both in, and go to screen resolution on the control panel. Then at the multiple display option just change it to "Extend these displays". After that just drag the two pictures of the screens at the top into the correct orientation (left monitor on the left and right monitor on the right)

Jexta

Honorable
May 9, 2013

I will be getting a 4670k haswell, new :) so you think it would be much of an issue?

And if I start up the game after putting a page up on the second monitor and the game requires me to alt out then I could just alt out to control other monitor or would that reveal an entirely new problem; I read somewhere that someone had a problem where they would start a game and the second monitor would go black due to the game trying to take up all the display space, if that is the case then how could I correct this?

Also, if the game does allow me to move the cursor over, is there a program you recommend that will let me set a key on the keyboard to lock the screen so that when I am playing it doesn't hop over to the 2nd screen when im trying to move my mouse around? I am thinking in terms of League of Legends at the moment, since it is my favorite right now, I assume the borderless play option would allow me to move the mouse over.. if so that is nice but then you have to move across the map to see things and thats where the issue might come up with it going to 2nd monitor eh?

Thanks for the reply!

Turtleshotz

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
I have the 3570k which is the 3rd gen version of that CPU and I get no lag when gaming and watching a stream so that 4670k will work perfectly.

Alt-ing out to control the second monitor doesn't really cause a problem, and in games that you can move your mouse over you have to enable it in the graphics settings (by default it is off), so if you don't want it to happen don't worry about it. Not sure what the case is with League, because I don't play that game.

Jexta

Honorable
May 9, 2013

Cleared alot of things up! thanks man, appreciate it!