[SOLVED] Need modem (no wifi) only for Centurylink DSL 20 mbps connection

chuckjlds

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
My house is 1100 sf and my yard is twice that. I would like wireless throughout the yard. I am looking for a basic modem that will grow from the 20 to 40 mbps range so that I can connect orbi to it. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Solution
They likely can all do that.

First the easy way is to just turn of the wifi radios in the dsl modem/router. You now have 2 routers in the path but that only causes issues for some game consoles and people that are trying to host servers. Pretty much anyone else will not be impacted by 2 routers in the path. You can even greatly reduce the issues for games by using the DMZ option in the DSL router and pointing it to the second router.

The second way but a little more messy is to put it into bridge mode. You will then need to configure your second router wan port to use PPP. Some ISP you must have a userid and password.

The only way you get good outdoor coverage is to place radios outside. Since you must run power...
They likely can all do that.

First the easy way is to just turn of the wifi radios in the dsl modem/router. You now have 2 routers in the path but that only causes issues for some game consoles and people that are trying to host servers. Pretty much anyone else will not be impacted by 2 routers in the path. You can even greatly reduce the issues for games by using the DMZ option in the DSL router and pointing it to the second router.

The second way but a little more messy is to put it into bridge mode. You will then need to configure your second router wan port to use PPP. Some ISP you must have a userid and password.

The only way you get good outdoor coverage is to place radios outside. Since you must run power cables to these anyway you might as well just use PoE powered AP and run simple ethernet cables. Ubiquiti make a large line of outdoor rated devices. You can get other consumer brands but be very careful that they are actually designed for outdoor use. Ubiquiti is about the same price but it has many feature of enterprise grade equipment.

Be very careful to not get sucked into the marketing myth of mesh and be very careful of orbi. There are mulitple models and most are trash. You always want a physical connection between the router and the remote radio....ie a AP. Running a radio connection between them and then a second radio connection to the end user requires extra radio chips dedicated to the function. Most inexpensive so called mesh units do not have this feature and even the ones that do still degrade the performance compared to ethernet attached AP.

Wifi converage still takes a lot of planning and careful placement of devices. The marketing guy want to sell mesh crap to stupid and lazy people so they make it seem you can just plug a magic box that matches your room decorations into any room and it will just magically work. The only thing that works well is the marketing guys get money out of your wallet.

Solution

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Google dsl modems and query your isp as to which ones they support.

You will have to check with your ISP for what they support and dslmodems are ridiculously pricey for the speed they provide. $299 for a 20-40 Mbps ADSL modem with no internal router is NUTS when I can get a 500 Mbps cable modem for < $100.
My house is 1100 sf and my yard is twice that. I would like wireless throughout the yard. I am looking for a basic modem that will grow from the 20 to 40 mbps range so that I can connect orbi to it. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Netgear shows one for like $300

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-High...l+modem+for+centurylink&qid=1611330190&sr=8-5

A ridiculous price for such antiquated tech but so be it.