[SOLVED] Need some help having computer problems.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
I've had my CPU overclocked to 4.8Ghz for a long time now, and its very stable. I recently wanted to try out an XMT profile to fix the DDR4 RAM frequency, It came out unstable so I reverted back to default settings. Ever since for some reason my RAM has been on 3200MHz (Default is 2133MHz). When i start windows. Often time it'll freeze for a split second then all windows text will disappear and theres no way to fix it. I tried going back into the bios to set all ram values to default it even says the frequency is 2133MHz but when i login to windows its at 3200MHz (Unstably).

Im not sure what exactly is happening but usually when an OC setting is unstable it'll blue screen, it never has done this even while i was overclocking the CPU. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edit
Little bit of an update after a few restarts without changing anything windows decides to work again. But something still doesnt seem right.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz (Cooled with Corsair H110i)
Motherboard: MSI Z390 Gaming Plus MPG
GPU: MSI Gaming Titanium GeForce GTX 1070 Ti @ 1.6GHz
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw V Series 16GB DDR4
Hard Drive#1: Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB
Solid State Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
PSU: SeaSonic Focus Gold 650W

Solution
Put in the new card after the update. Turned on with no problems, but. For some reason RAM is now back at 2133MHz. Im so confused.
LOL, you have some interesting problem, just put XMP back on and see if it's stable, if there is no change, up the RAM voltage to 1.4 and see if the works. If that doesn't work you might need to buy a new set of RAM, because I don't know what's going on in that situation.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
What is that kit of RAM rated for? 2133 mhz is usually the base speed for every stick of DDR4 RAM anything past that is an OC done at the factory. What are the XMP setting options in BIOS for the RAM set?
I disabled XMP settings because it was unstable. The RAM is rated for 3200MHz. But the default clock setting should 2133MHz since this RAM is not factory overclocked. Like i said before in the BIO's itself it says its clocked at 2133MHz but in windows its at 3200MHz and it shouldnt be.

I don't think you got what I was saying about the RAM and how practically all ram is 2133 hz natively. Any DDR4 RAM above 2133 hz is oced by the factory. That is a fact. Personally I would try overvolting the RAM to get it stable. Go into the BIOS and put on the XMP setting then change the voltage from 1.35v (Usually the standard) to 1.40v and see if it's more stable. If i seemed combative that was not my intention.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
I don't think you got what I was saying about the RAM and how practically all ram is 2133 hz natively. Any DDR4 RAM above 2133 hz is oced by the factory. That is a fact. Personally I would try overvolting the RAM to get it stable. Go into the BIOS and put on the XMP setting then change the voltage from 1.35v (Usually the standard) to 1.40v and see if it's more stable. If i seemed combative that was not my intention.
What else could cause windows to act like that then? It doesnt blue screen. And before it seemed like it was working perfectly fine.

G skill RAM is really really good stuff so I usually don't see issues with them, however, it could be that the RAM was just barley stable before at 3200. Like I said just try it at 1.4v and report back. As far as the windows reporting of the speed goes, I am not sure. It could be that you are not saving BIOS settings before restarting to OS. You could also have some utility program related to overclocking that is changing the RAM back to the XMP profile when it starts with windows.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
G skill RAM is really really good stuff so I usually don't see issues with them, however, it could be that the RAM was just barley stable before at 3200. Like I said just try it at 1.4v and report back. As far as the windows reporting of the speed goes, I am not sure. It could be that you are not saving BIOS settings before restarting to OS. You could also have some utility program related to overclocking that is changing the RAM back to the XMP profile when it starts with windows.
Is it normal for windows to not crash and instead just show signs of corrupt registry (Like text not appearing at all in any programs)

With windows 10 and these types of problems, I have learned that doing these things first is always a good idea to make sure there are no problems with the Windows install:

1. Open Start.

2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

3. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete: SFC /scannow

4. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image
/CheckHealth

5.ype the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

6.ype the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Report back when this finishes (5-10 min)

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
With windows 10 and these types of problems, I have learned that doing these things first is always a good idea to make sure there are no problems with the Windows install:

1. Open Start.

2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

3. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete: SFC /scannow

4. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image
/CheckHealth

5.ype the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

6.ype the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Report back when this finishes (5-10 min)
SFC found corruption but was unable to repair. Dism found corruption, and restored successfully.

Edit Ran SFC command again and it repaired files finally

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
That's great. By chance did you upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7? Back to the root issue of the RAM. Is it still giving you issues?
Yes i did upgrade from 7. So as for RAM, currently right now nothing seems to be wrong, tomorrow im getting the 1070 Ti. I'm going to update windows and then check the bios after i put it in. I'll let you know if anything happens when i boot tomorrow. One thing i didnt check was RAM voltage, but i assume its on the default.

Oh and if it helps also my CPU voltage is 1.26v-1.3v. But i havent noticed anything which shows a bad cpu overclock

Yes i did upgrade from 7. So as for RAM, currently right now nothing seems to be wrong, tomorrow im getting the 1070 Ti. I'm going to update windows and then check the bios after i put it in. I'll let you know if anything happens when i boot tomorrow. One thing i didnt check was RAM voltage, but i assume its on the default.
Sounds good, I hope that was the issue. Win7 to Win10 upgrades seem to break a lot of things related to what I had you scanning for, it was just a hunch I had when you were saying you had registry and possible driver issues.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
Sounds good, I hope that was the issue. Win7 to Win10 upgrades seem to break a lot of things related to what I had you scanning for, it was just a hunch I had when you were saying you had registry and possible driver issues.

Could've been a corrupt registry, couldve been a component. I'm thinking maybe windows was unable to bsod and so instead it was running somehow. idk

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
Watch the, now edited, "colorful" language, please. Thank you.
Put in the new card after the update. Turned on with no problems, but. For some reason RAM is now back at 2133MHz. Im so <<EDITED>> confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put in the new card after the update. Turned on with no problems, but. For some reason RAM is now back at 2133MHz. Im so confused.
LOL, you have some interesting problem, just put XMP back on and see if it's stable, if there is no change, up the RAM voltage to 1.4 and see if the works. If that doesn't work you might need to buy a new set of RAM, because I don't know what's going on in that situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution