Need some help w/ X800XL plz

hxhky

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
I bought an ATI X800XL AGP (BBA) at BestBuy yesterday (after I read the thread "AGP X800XL's $299.00"--this forum has been helpful in different ways). I took out my old 9600xt, put in X800XL, downloaded/installed latest Catalyst driver (didnt install anything from the CD). Here are some issues I have:

1. Catalyst driver installation includes three parts: driver, ATI control panel and WDM integrated driver. The first 2 parts went through, but the installation stopped responding at the 3rd part (I waited for about 2 min)

2. I played HL2 and World of Warcraft for about an hour. Got some video card driver error messages, and the games were stopped.

So here are the questions:

Why I wasnt able to install WDM? Do I really need it? Is that the reason I got those error messages when playing games?

My PC:
P4 3.0C
MSI 865PE
ASUS 9600XT (using generic ATI Catalyst driver)
Corsiar TWINX1024-3200C2PT 512Mx2 (2-3-3-6)
Audigy 2 ZS
Zalman 400W (ZM400B-APS) power supply

Thank you guys in advance for your time.

cleeve

Illustrious
What're your case temps like? Overheating would do that kind of thing. Is your Zalman power supply passive? You might need a fan or two in that case... maybe the X800 would be more sensitive to that sort of thing.

hxhky

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Thanks guys.

I'll give driver cleaner a try.

I think my case temp is around 45C loaded (not really sure, but i think its under 50C). I have 2 case fans installed although they're not running at full speed because of noise. I can leave the case (Chenbro Xpider) open and try again. But I doubt case temp is the reason. Power supply passive or not.... I dont really know what that means.

Oh, btw I installed the CD, everything was installed successfully. Then tried catalyst again, same result :'( --Does that mean the CD doesnt include WDM drvier, which means it's not required for games?

Also, do you guys think Leadtek 6800GT ($299) is a better buy (I trust Leadtek stuff)? I chose ATI for the better image quality, but I hear that it's not the case anymore.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Well Newegg is selling the EVGA 6800GT for 269, so yeah it is a better deal. Leadtek makes good cards, but EVGA is better IMO. The Image Quality between Nvidia and ATI is minimal, you could make an argument either way.

<A HREF="http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130203" target="_new">Clicky</A>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Well since only EVGA is on sale so might as well grab it. But IMO here's my ranking on Nvidia card makers. This list is based on quality, not price.

1. Gainward(Golden Sample is very expensive)
2. EVGA
2. Asus(overpriced however)
3. MSI
3. Gigabyte
3. Leadtek
3. Albatron
3. XFX
4. Chaintech
4. PNY
5. BFG

Remember this is just my opinion based on my own experience.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im an ASUS fan but only for there MOBOs. I cant think of one good reason to pay the extra money that one of their video cards cost when the same model with a diff brand on it is cheaper and better.

:eek: If I would have shot you when I had the chance, I would be out by now :eek:
Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>

Can't find the $269 eVGA 6800GT deal anymore...

hxhky

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
I tried driver cleaner but still cant install that WDM thing. If I alt-tab from the game, I occasionally get video driver error message. I'm guessing the error message IS because of incompleted installation of driver. I guess I'll jsut reinstall the os then. Thanks.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
They've been a douche to me, when it comes in terms of quality of their cards. I've got nothing against the company, because their Tech support is number 1, no competition against that. But when it comes to enthusiasts who feels like modding cards... the quality of components used on the cards shows.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I should have said that I was specifically referring to their ATI cards. The X800XL has been as much as $100 higher that the others. Thats just nuts.

Oh BTW SCREW YOU FOR QUESTIONING MY AUTHORITI :tongue: Ill wash you r mouth out with soap young man. Have you knocked your girlfriend up yet? :eek:

:eek: If I would have shot you when I had the chance, I would be out by now :eek:

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Asus is always overpriced...

Questioning your what what and what what? Soap... hmm good tasting soap. Actually my parents never done that, they just beat me in the ass when i was acting up.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Well, they obviously didnt beat you hard enough :tongue: If you continue to to use that filthy language I will be forced to beat you like a RED HEADED Step-child. :eek:

So whats been going on in your world? The last I heard was that you were Hell bent on getting married.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Yeah I hate those people who keeps preaching "Never spank your child" well if you don't they'll just end up being a failure in life.

Meh... problem is my girlfriend and I going to end up in different universities, and studying different subjects... I'm going to be studying law and political science and nothing can change my mind now, and she wants to go to a medical school, so unless i could change her mind to join me in lawschool, we'll be moving on with our lives. We have already applied for different universities, so yeah my life has been kinda rough in the recent days. School's finished already for me, so just sitting home while most people are finishing up their exams, I'm going insane of boredom.

That's the bad news, the good news part is I got my own car:D Buick Allure(It's called Lacrosse in the states),spent about 30,000 CDN on it, not a great car, but better than civics or sunfires.

BTW do you use MSN?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You should have waited longer, I've seen the driver installation take several minutes to proceed to the next part.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Just checked on it and they have them in stock - they're $299 now. :frown:

TRENDING THREADS