mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
Hello everyone,

My current setup consists of a Ryzen 5 3600 (stock) and a ZOTAC RTX2060 SUPER MINI (stock). The CPU and GPU have recently started idling at ~51c and ~48c respectively (the GPU used to idle around ~38c so I'm not sure what might have caused this). The CPU's temperature tends to hover around 76c and the GPU around 81c under load (e.g. while playing Apex Legends and COD MW 2019)

I'm using a Corsair Carbide 275R, with 2 ML140s in the front as intake, 2 random 120mm fans on the top as exhaust together with the H60 AIO (with a ML120 Pro) on the rear. I made a mistake of taking off the AIO when I cleaned my PC for the first time and I 've not gotten the chance to replace the stock thermal paste, is there any problems with my current setup or am I worrying for nothing?

At this point in time I'm considering getting an air cooler because I've read on these forums that a 120mm air cooler doesn't have a huge step-up in performance as compared to other air coolers (something like the Hyper212 Evo?) , so I was hoping to get some recommendations for air coolers that can fit in my case. Also planning to buy the Arctic MX-4 thermal paste if I do end up buying a new CPU cooler.

Sorry for the extremely long post, and any help is much appreciated

Solution
My ambient temperatures usually range from 31c to 36c (on the hotter days). Also, my fan is placed under my desk in the living room, where we use a single ceiling fan to cool the room.
So i assume you live in a hotter climate like mine, for cpu switch over to an tower air cooler like ANTEC A400, GAMAXX 400, or cooler master hyper 212,
next remove the fans at the top of your cabinet and install it at front, and have one at rear.
Do this and tell me your cpu and gpu temperature,

And for tower air cooler, your cpu cabinet supports maximum cpu cooler height 170mm

All the tower air coolers i mentioned are below 160mm,

so do this and say how much temperature you get, and check your gpu fan speed whether it runs properly...

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Hello bro as said in your previous post, for cpu cooler please do the thermal paste, and see how much the temperature goes, if it does 35-40 then its good, my Antec A400 air cooler does 41 -43 idle at 30c ambient temperature, so your liquid cooler will so mid 30s at an ambient temperature of 30c,

So dont buy a new air cooler, please re-install the aio cooler with thermal paste.

move the top fans to front,

Do all the above and see the CPU and GPU temperature,

for CPU reading use AMD Ryzen master.

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
Hello bro as said in your previous post, for cpu cooler please do the thermal paste, and see how much the temperature goes, if it does 35-40 then its good, my Antec A400 air cooler does 41 -43 idle at 30c ambient temperature, so your liquid cooler will so mid 30s at an ambient temperature of 30c,

So dont buy a new air cooler, please re-install the aio cooler with thermal paste.

move the top fans to front,

Do all the above and see the CPU and GPU temperature,

for CPU reading use AMD Ryzen master.

Hello, thanks for your suggestions.

I've recently replaced the previous thermal paste with Arctic MX-4, and made sure to clean the AIO and CPU before re-applying the new thermal paste, I've also gotten replacement Corsair ML120 fans and mounted 1 on the top closer to the rear exhaust fan and moved the radiator to the top as suggested in one of my other threads (should be linked above).

I don't see any difference at all - the CPU still runs at ~49c and hits a max of 69.5c when running Cinebench R20 for around 30 minutes. The GPU still runs at an idle temperature of 50c and hits a max of 83c when I ran Furmark 3D on it for 30 minutes as well.

Not sure if there's something wrong with my setup or I should just leave them as it is. Also, realised there were slight bends in a few of the fins on my radiator (maybe 6 - 8 of them were bent but I carefully bent them back a bit) - not sure if this will affect the performance.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Hello, thanks for your suggestions.

I've recently replaced the previous thermal paste with Arctic MX-4, and made sure to clean the AIO and CPU before re-applying the new thermal paste, I've also gotten replacement Corsair ML120 fans and mounted 1 on the top closer to the rear exhaust fan and moved the radiator to the top as suggested in one of my other threads (should be linked above).

I don't see any difference at all - the CPU still runs at ~49c and hits a max of 69.5c when running Cinebench R20 for around 30 minutes. The GPU still runs at an idle temperature of 50c and hits a max of 83c when I ran Furmark 3D on it for 30 minutes as well.

Not sure if there's something wrong with my setup or I should just leave them as it is. Also, realised there were slight bends in a few of the fins on my radiator (maybe 6 - 8 of them were bent but I carefully bent them back a bit) - not sure if this will affect the performance.

Tell me your ambient temperature, if your ambient temperature like mine is 30deg, and outside temperature is 37, my system runs hot and now my Antec A400 runs cpu at 43 - 45 idle and reaches 75 in games,
So technically your cpu liquid cooler might not be working properly so try changing to tower air cooler or some liquid cooler, because feel your H60 AIO is not doing its work, with my room temperature of 30 my antec A400 is able to do 43 idle and 75 load. so try changing your CPU cooler

As far as your GPU is concerned i hear the RTX 2060 runs from 36 to 45 idle, so maybe it is to do with your fan setup, so put a tower cooler for your cpu and add a rear exhaust, and have three or two fans at front and dont add fans at your top.

Last edited:

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
Tell me your ambient temperature, if your ambient temperature like mine is 30deg, and outside temperature is 37, my system runs hot and now my Antec A400 runs cpu at 43 - 45 idle and reaches 75 in games,
So technically your

My ambient temperatures usually range from 31c to 36c (on the hotter days). Also, my fan is placed under my desk in the living room, where we use a single ceiling fan to cool the room.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
So i assume you live in a hotter climate like mine, for cpu switch over to an tower air cooler like ANTEC A400, GAMAXX 400, or cooler master hyper 212,
next remove the fans at the top of your cabinet and install it at front, and have one at rear.

And for tower air cooler, your cpu cabinet supports maximum cpu cooler height 170mm

so do this and say how much temperature you get, and check your gpu fan speed whether it runs properly heard that you gpu model fan stops at idle and run back at load.

Solution

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020

so do this and say how much temperature you get, and check your gpu fan speed whether it runs properly heard that you gpu model fan stops at idle and run back at load.

Thanks for the reply, will look into getting an air cooler in a while. As for the fans, I have 2 ML140 fans at the front as intake, and the case cannot fit anymore, I have 2 ML120s on the top (1 on the radiator of the H60) and 1 ML120 on the rear - all as exhaust. They're all plugged into a fan hub and I'm using the radiator fan as the RPM reading (controlling the speeds on the other fans). Set the fans to run at 30% at <30c, 50% at <50c, 75% <60c and 100% >70c. GPU is roughly the same (set up using MSI Afterburner)

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
And for the gpu tempera
Thanks for the reply, will look into getting an air cooler in a while. As for the fans, I have 2 ML140 fans at the front as intake, and the case cannot fit anymore, I have 2 ML120s on the top (1 on the radiator of the H60) and 1 ML120 on the rear - all as exhaust. They're all plugged into a fan hub and I'm using the radiator fan as the RPM reading (controlling the speeds on the other fans). Set the fans to run at 30% at <30c, 50% at <50c, 75% <60c and 100% >70c. GPU is roughly the same (set up using MSI Afterburner)

Ok then remove the fans at the top, let you have two at front and one at rear as exhaust. Remove the ones at the top as it might disturb the air flow, it should suck at front and vent at rear.

And as for your zotac RTX 2060, try under volting it like as said in this link.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2BBnMp8WXw

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
And for the gpu tempera

Ok then remove the fans at the top, let you have two at front and one at rear as exhaust. Remove the ones at the top as it might disturb the air flow, it should suck at front and vent at rear.

And as for your zotac RTX 2060, try under volting it like as said in this link.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2BBnMp8WXw

Alright, I'll try that out, thanks for the suggestions

Reactions: coolraveen