[SOLVED] Need suggestion regarding CPU + Motherboard Upgrade

Avik_b123

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2014
Hello.

Currently, I'm running an AMD FX-8350 on a Gigabyte 990-XA motherboard. Yes I know it's old.

Want to upgrade this so need your suggestions. The requirement is to play games at 1080P, with moderate FPS, nothing groundbreaking.

Thing is, I'm going to do a full build when the RTX 3080 comes back on stock (I know it will be a while :(). Hence do not want so spent much on the current upgrade that I need suggestion with.

So is there any CPU + Motherboard out there to full-fill this? The motherboard has to be DDR3 to support the RAM I have. Please suggest.

Thanks in advance. Peace.

P.S. My GPU is a 1650 super.

Solution
Any CPU worth upgrading to will need to be on a DDR4 board.

Might as well buy the board you want for the full build you want to do later and use it now but it will have to be a DDR4 motherboard.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello.

Currently, I'm running an AMD FX-8350 on a Gigabyte 990-XA motherboard. Yes I know it's old.

Want to upgrade this so need your suggestions. The requirement is to play games at 1080P, with moderate FPS, nothing groundbreaking.

Thing is, I'm going to do a full build when the RTX 3080 comes back on stock (I know it will be a while :(). Hence do not want so spent much on the current upgrade that I need suggestion with.

So is there any CPU + Motherboard out there to full-fill this? The motherboard has to be DDR3 to support the RAM I have. Please suggest.

Thanks in advance. Peace.

P.S. My GPU is a 1650 super.
If you can find a used 4790K and motherboard at a good price it would be a good upgrade.

Reactions: Avik_b123
For <$250, you can buy a 8 thread i3-10100 processor that is about 2x the capability of your FX8350, along with a lga1200 motherboard and 16gb of ddr4 ram.

If you want to have a secondary pc alongside a future monster, that is reasonable.

If you really only need a single monster, you need to spend more up front.
Planning on a 3080, look to a current gen processor like ryzen 5000 or intel 11th gen(march).
They will have some 20% better ipc which is what you want for (presumably) gaming.

That is going to require a modern motherboard.
If buying new, go for the latest gen.
Today, that would be Z590 for Intel or X570 for ryzen.

That gets you into the pcie 4.0 support for the 3080.
And, also for ssd.

On ram. you will be looking at a 3600 speed kit.