[SOLVED] Need to buy a new HDD, any advice?

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
Hi everyone, i got a new build but I'm still using a very old HDD and i really need to replace it before i lose everything. I don't know much about hard disks, i read that the NAS ones are very good but i don't know if they're a good choice for a normal computer (for storing videos, games, photos etc). I was thinking about buying this one: WD_BLACK P10 i can't seem to find anything better. The problem is that it's pretty expensive but if it's worth it i'll get it. Could you guys advice me some good HDD from Amazon.it for around 100€ max?

Thank you!

Solution
That link to a usb hdd. I'd not recommend using a usb hdd for regular storage, that would be an internal hdd.

Most or any hdd should work for simple file storage for home use. However, some kind of disks are specific made to various server purposes and therefore it cost more. Also, there is a thing about SMR drives (high capacity, lower cost, but poor write performance and not suitable for raid) v.s. CMR drives.

External HDD is best used for backup. Buy two hdd' one internal and one external, and use the external as a backup copy. That is my best advice.
That link to a usb hdd. I'd not recommend using a usb hdd for regular storage, that would be an internal hdd.

Most or any hdd should work for simple file storage for home use. However, some kind of disks are specific made to various server purposes and therefore it cost more. Also, there is a thing about SMR drives (high capacity, lower cost, but poor write performance and not suitable for raid) v.s. CMR drives.

External HDD is best used for backup. Buy two hdd' one internal and one external, and use the external as a backup copy. That is my best advice.

Solution

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015

oh i thought it was an internal hard drive.. glad i didnt buy it

Hi everyone, i got a new build but I'm still using a very old HDD and i really need to replace it before i lose everything. I don't know much about hard disks, i read that the NAS ones are very good but i don't know if they're a good choice for a normal computer (for storing videos, games, photos etc). I was thinking about buying this one: WD_BLACK P10 i can't seem to find anything better. The problem is that it's pretty expensive but if it's worth it i'll get it. Could you guys advice me some good HDD from Amazon.it for around 100€ max?

Thank you!
Why wouldn't you consider an SSD? They are much faster...and reasonably priced these days.

TRENDING THREADS