[SOLVED] Need to buy a new motherboard and looking for a bit of assistance

Sep 4, 2021
Here's my build currently:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($70.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: EVGA Superclocked 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory ($80.00)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive w/ WD Black 1 TB HDD
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($200.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.95 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)

I've had this comp for over 7 years with small updates and it's done me well; when I now try to turn it on, there is no response. From my research and best guess, this is a motherboard issue.

So, when choosing to get a new motherboard. I am pretty stuck. I don't want to spend over $199 and I'd like to get something moving asap so I can get back to work. The socket is AMD 3+ and I would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Also, if you have any other ideas to enhance the build, such as getting a better case, I would be grateful for that as well.

Thank you.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? Given your bubble of hardware that you've introduced yourself into, you're limited to working with high end boards, especially since the processor you have is a 125W TDP part, meaning that the VRM area of the motherboard needs to be robust. You shouldn't spend on that platform any further, given how you might've been able to invest on a newer platform that has better power efficiency and has better IPC's.

If you have a lot of money to spend, then you're not doing anything justice using that Hyper 212 on that processor, more like a 240mm/280mm radiator is in order.

Disagree on the cooler (it was always good enough for an 8350), agree on everything else.

You...

Lutfij

Titan

How old is the PSU in your build? Given your bubble of hardware that you've introduced yourself into, you're limited to working with high end boards, especially since the processor you have is a 125W TDP part, meaning that the VRM area of the motherboard needs to be robust. You shouldn't spend on that platform any further, given how you might've been able to invest on a newer platform that has better power efficiency and has better IPC's.

If you have a lot of money to spend, then you're not doing anything justice using that Hyper 212 on that processor, more like a 240mm/280mm radiator is in order.

Disagree on the cooler (it was always good enough for an 8350), agree on everything else.

You are not going to find a decent motherboard for that processor for a reasonable price anywhere now unless you're lucky.
Socket am3+ boards were discontinued many moons ago, they fetch a ridiculously high price even second hand even though that cpu goes for $30 or less.

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-970-p...&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-0RdnTALMOZTuOxe_DKQbwA

If you're USA that's the only reasonably priced board, it's fairly ill equipped vrm wise to manage an 8350 but it will do at a push.

If your main aim is to get back up and running ASAP then there isn't really another sensible option.

I wouldn't spend any more than that on that old system, the 8350 is poor by today's standards and ddr3 is all but defunct.

It'll get you back up and running for a year or 2 at which pikt you really should look at upgrading to a more modern platform.

Solution
Sep 4, 2021

You are not going to find a decent motherboard for that processor for a reasonable price anywhere now unless you're lucky.
Socket am3+ boards were discontinued many moons ago, they fetch a ridiculously high price even second hand even though that cpu goes for $30 or less.

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-970-pro3-r2-0/p/N82E16813157364?Item=N82E16813157364&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https://pcpartpicker.com/&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-0RdnTALMOZTuOxe_DKQbwA

If you're USA that's the only reasonably priced board, it's fairly ill equipped vrm wise to manage an 8350 but it will do at a push.

If your main aim is to get back up and running ASAP then there isn't really another sensible option.

I wouldn't spend any more than that on that old system, the 8350 is poor by today's standards and ddr3 is all but defunct.

It'll get you back up and running for a year or 2 at which pikt you really should look at upgrading to a more modern platform.

Thanks for the response. So basically I should look for an entire revamp; I appreciate the link to that motherboard. I have a decent laptop so I may just try to sell what I can from the build and keep the PSU and SSD. What do you think this build could get me if I did replace the mobo? Cheers.

Sep 4, 2021

Thanks for the response. The PSU is 3 years old max. Thinking about maybe replacing the board with @madmatt30 suggestion if I can get more than $450 for it. What's a good motherboard nowadays to last me another 5 years or so?

So, when choosing to get a new motherboard. I am pretty stuck. I don't want to spend over $199 and I'd like to get something moving asap so I can get back to work. The socket is AMD 3+ and I would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions.
Also, if you have any other ideas to enhance the build, such as getting a better case, I would be grateful for that as well.
Build a new system. $199 will not cut it unfortunately. You'll have to go slightly over that.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.39 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME H510M-A/CSM Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($99.99 @ ASUS)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $267.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-05 10:34 EDT-0400

Do not dump more money into an obsolete system.

About $250 will buy you an excellent i3-10100f, lga 1200 motherboard and a 2 x 8gb kit of ddr4 ram.
Your FX-8350 has 8 threads and a passmark rating of 5916.
That is when all 8 threads are fully loaded.
The single thread rating is 1565 which is the weakness of fx processors.
Single thread performance is what most games need.
The i3-10100f also has 8 threads but a rating of 8830/2637.
It is an excellent budget gamer.
Here is a review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

Thanks for the response. The PSU is 3 years old max. Thinking about maybe replacing the board with @madmatt30 suggestion if I can get more than $450 for it. What's a good motherboard nowadays to last me another 5 years or so?

Forget ploughing money in with regards to selling is my advice.

Sell the cpu and ram for whatever you can get, put that money towards a current cpu, board, ram with the money you get.

Your $199 budget + money you'll get will net you something like this

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($100.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Allian 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $263.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-05 13:28 EDT-0400

I'm absolutely with geofelt on this one, with that budget the 10100f is an absolutely perfect upgrade for you.