Question Need to switch from dGPU to iGPU

Sep 26, 2022
Hi everybody,

I am using a gaming laptop and it looks like my dGPU has been cooked(display has stripes and more or less heavy games don't work anymore) so i want to switch to iGPU.
Windows 10 does not detect any gpu, so i cant switch gpu in windows, linux ubuntu detects only dGPU, but when i am trying so switch to iGPU using commands that i have found it says something like "integrated gpu is not detected"

I tried to switch graphics in BIOS, but my BIOS does not have any options related to switching gpus.
What should i do?

Here is my setup:
Laptop: GT72VR 6RE Dominator Pro Tobii
CPU: i7-6700HQ (it has Processor Graphics)
dGPU: GTX 1070
BiOS verion/date: American Megatrends E1785IMS.117 / 7.14.2022
BiOS mode: UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer: Micro-Star International
BaseBoard Product: MS-1785
BaseBoard Version: REV:1.0

Thanks in advance

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Unclear from anything I can find whether the laptop has a mux switch or not, but if Windows nor Linux is detecting anything other than the dGP, i'd assume does - and the iGP is disabled at present. If memory serves, that would be pretty rare in the Skylake era, but if it's not disabled, you should be able to see the iGP in DeviceManager. If there's no option in the BIOS, the option do enable "hybrid" graphics mode is likely buried in some proprietary MSI software that would've been preinstalled. No clue what it would be called though, unfortunately.

Luckily (kinda), the GPU in that laptop is replaceable. It's an MXM. Unfortunately, unlikely to be economically viable. You'd be lucky to find a used MXM 1070 for <$400 USD.

Good point & worth checking.
Windows update should have something though, you'd think. Whether remotely the latest or not.
On a normal desktop yes, I just don't know how a laptop handles it especially if it came with a custom driver from the laptop maker, usually laptop iGPUs only work right with that custom driver so I guess it could be that that driver can also be made to make the iGPU disappear.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Never seen that myself, but sounds plausible enough.

In my experience, for an iGP to be missing from Device Manager even, it's disabled at a BIOS level... potentially even outright.

EDIT Anecdotal at best, but this would suggest the iGP is deactivated by design and locked out of the BIOS to enable. Could potentially even be CPUs with defective iGPs (although likely at least some could work, if the BIOS permitted). I don't see any way to run on the iGP with the stock BIOS.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT72VR-7RE-Dominator-Pro-Notebook-Review.190406.0.html

Sep 26, 2022
Unclear from anything I can find whether the laptop has a mux switch or not, but if Windows nor Linux is detecting anything other than the dGP, i'd assume does - and the iGP is disabled at present. If memory serves, that would be pretty rare in the Skylake era, but if it's not disabled, you should be able to see the iGP in DeviceManager. If there's no option in the BIOS, the option do enable "hybrid" graphics mode is likely buried in some proprietary MSI software that would've been preinstalled. No clue what it would be called though, unfortunately.

Luckily (kinda), the GPU in that laptop is replaceable. It's an MXM. Unfortunately, unlikely to be economically viable. You'd be lucky to find a used MXM 1070 for <$400 USD.
Thank you. I didn't know this laptop GPU's is replaceable. I think i am gonna buy it. Btw what would you do with this laptop if you were in my shoes?). I was wondering if you could give me some advice

TRENDING THREADS