Question Need Webcams That Connect Wirelessly via Wi-Fi

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I have a large room where I'll be live streaming several meetings. I need cameras placed in three points, so I can switch the angles in real-time using OBS on my laptop. These will be far away from me. So I can't run wires or connect the laptop to the webcams directly via USB.

Are there any good cam options that will allow you to connect to the laptop via the wi-fi signal and stream the video to the laptop this way?

kanewolf

Titan
I have a large room where I'll be live streaming several meetings. I need cameras placed in three points, so I can switch the angles in real-time using OBS on my laptop. These will be far away from me. So I can't run wires or connect the laptop to the webcams directly via USB.

Are there any good cam options that will allow you to connect to the laptop via the wi-fi signal and stream the video to the laptop this way?
Can these be ethernet connected? That would be much better than WIFI ? Ethernet cables can be 300 ft and you can use POE (power over ethernet) to power the cameras so no power near the camera is required.

I guess it depends on what you call a "camera". There are massive number of sercurity cameras that can function via wifi. The quality in general does not compare to cameras designed for say video content production. The costs can be outrageous for the quality cameras they use to say make motion pictures.
There are a couple key difference. First is the lens systems on security cameras tend to be rather limited . The lens tends to cost more than the camera. The second issue you will find is with the data compression. Most security cameras do H264 in the camera to avoid having to transmit the massive amounts of data that would be needed if it was uncompressed. Expensive cameras have the option to not compress the data but then you pretty much have to have them connected via ethernet. What is much more of a problem is cheaper security cameras do not have very powerful cpu.

It takes some time to do this compression. I know mine it as at least a full second or two. I can hear the garbage truck drive by and then look at the monitor and see the truck just coming into view even though it actually is fully past.
This could cause you a issue if you want to keep multiple cameras in sync.

Not sure this is likely specialized equipment and not some web or security camera.