[SOLVED] Negative or positive air pressure for 1 fan?

UnrezolvedKaos

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2015
I basically am building a matx build with a r5 2600 and an RTX 2060 from Zotac. However, to fit that power into my build, I had to skimp out on the case and a little bit on the mobo. My b450m has only 2 fan headers, and one is for the CPU. My question is would it be better to use a single 120 fan @ the back to pull air out or a spare 140 I have to push air in the front.

Solution
You probably already have several other fans. Typically the PSU fan is an exhaust fan - it draws air from inside the case, and vents it out the back. The GPU is usually set up to exhaust some air out the edge. And some cases let you place a duct over the CPU which turns the CPU fan into an exhaust fan.

So generally, if you're adding just one fan powered by the motherboard, it should be an intake fan so you're not fighting these other fans. Inflow is generally preferred since it creates positive pressure inside, meaning the dust buildup only happens at the intake fan(s). That makes it relatively easy to clean. If you have negative pressure, the dust builds up at every nook and cranny of the case.

Beyond that, you need to look at...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Neither. With newer pwm fans, you can physically splitter a header and get 3x fans. Or use a Sata powered splitter, and get 4x fans.

So at a minimum, I'd run a 2way splitter to the 1 header and run 1x exhaust and 1x intake. If you have room, and 3x pwm fans, I'd run 2x intakes. If using 3pin analog fans, check the draw on the back label. If it's 3w or 0.3A or less, then you can splitter and run 3 fans, if not then just the 2.

UnrezolvedKaos

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2015
Neither. With newer pwm fans, you can physically splitter a header and get 3x fans. Or use a Sata powered splitter, and get 4x fans.

So at a minimum, I'd run a 2way splitter to the 1 header and run 1x exhaust and 1x intake. If you have room, and 3x pwm fans, I'd run 2x intakes. If using 3pin analog fans, check the draw on the back label. If it's 3w or 0.3A or less, then you can splitter and run 3 fans, if not then just the 2.
I don't have a splitter, so it would just be 1 fan max

You probably already have several other fans. Typically the PSU fan is an exhaust fan - it draws air from inside the case, and vents it out the back. The GPU is usually set up to exhaust some air out the edge. And some cases let you place a duct over the CPU which turns the CPU fan into an exhaust fan.

So generally, if you're adding just one fan powered by the motherboard, it should be an intake fan so you're not fighting these other fans. Inflow is generally preferred since it creates positive pressure inside, meaning the dust buildup only happens at the intake fan(s). That makes it relatively easy to clean. If you have negative pressure, the dust builds up at every nook and cranny of the case.

Beyond that, you need to look at what the airflow will be like inside the case. Try to assure the intakes and exhausts generate a simple and orderly flow of air. No sharp bends, no air coming in one spot and going right out an adjacent spot without cooling anything. The flow should be over cooler components first (hard drives, motherboard), hottest components last (CPU and GPU) before being vented out of the case.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Most cases I've seen have bottom mounted PSUs with a fan grill beneath them, such that the PSU will pull air from outside the case, and then vents out the back. So the PSU provides no net airflow in the case.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psus in most aftermarket cases are omni-directional, the slot in back being fully rectangular to accommodate any psu with any plug location and any switch or lack thereof. So the psu can be either fan-up or fan-down, makes no difference to the psu.

TRENDING THREADS