Question Network Adapter doesn’t exist

SneakyGuy

Distinguished
May 15, 2016
I just moved and when I setup my PC it started fine, but I can’t connect to the router with ethernet. I’m pretty sure I’ve done every check possible. Did network resets and every troubleshooting that I could find on this. Finally, tried to even format the PC but still no luck. I connected another PC to the same ethernet cable and it works fine, so the issue is 100% on the PC.

As I said I think I have tried pretty much everything on troubleshooting on the software and had no luck. When I try to install drivers on the PC it says that no network adapter exists. Also, when I connect the ethernet cable to the PC no light shows up on the port. Any ideas on what I could do?

PC Specs:
Ryzen 7 5800x
Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite rev. 1.1
G.Skill 2x16GB @3200Mhz
Gigabyte 1060 3GB
Corsair 550w PSU

Ralston18

Titan
Did the checks include powering down, unplugging the case, and verifying that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place?

Make and model information: modem, router, or modem/router if combined?

On your computer run"ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Then run "ping 8.8.8.8".

Post the results of both commands.

[Note: You should be able to copy the results and then paste directly into a post. No need retype it all.]

SneakyGuy

Distinguished
May 15, 2016
Did the checks include powering down, unplugging the case, and verifying that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place?

Make and model information: modem, router, or modem/router if combined?

On your computer run"ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Then run "ping 8.8.8.8".

Post the results of both commands.

[Note: You should be able to copy the results and then paste directly into a post. No need retype it all.]
Yes, I've checked everything inside the case.

Router is from my internet company. I don't know if you can actually find it anywhere, model is OTE-Speedport Entry 2i.

Run the commands you posted: https://prnt.sc/FU_R3ZoVhmlV

Ralston18

Titan
The "ipconfig /all" results - that was the full output without deletions or redactions - correct?

In Device Manager what is the status of the Ethernet Adapter? Or any other listed network adapters for that matter.

(Ensure that "Show hidden devices" is selected under the View tab.)

Do you have access to a USB Ethernet network adapter or perhaps a Ethernet PCIe network card of some sort to install and test?

SneakyGuy

Distinguished
May 15, 2016
The "ipconfig /all" results - that was the full output without deletions or redactions - correct?

In Device Manager what is the status of the Ethernet Adapter? Or any other listed network adapters for that matter.

(Ensure that "Show hidden devices" is selected under the View tab.)

Do you have access to a USB Ethernet network adapter or perhaps a Ethernet PCIe network card of some sort to install and test?
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, that was the full output.

Inside device manager there is only these: https://prnt.sc/nJMJ-EmFoQ0C. There was a Realtek PCIe Ethernet Driver, but I pressed to uninstall it during the troubleshooting and it never reappaered. (I had "Show hidden devices enabled")

Yes, I ordered a USB Ethernet Network Adapter and internet works fine, so I guess the ethernet port on the MOBO is dead? Also, these appeared in device manager, probably from the USB Network Adapter: https://prnt.sc/yZLloVIgLvPe. The second and third drivers that appear there, are probably from the Wi-Fi Network Adapter that I tested aswell, and it works fine.

Ralston18

Titan
Difficult to know.

However, you can apply some simple cmdlets via Powershell (run as Admin) to determine what Windows is "seeing" with respect to network hardware.

FYI:

Get-NetAdapter

Get-NetAdapterHardwareInfo

There quite a number of links to be found regarding the use of Powershell to learn more about the host computer's network adapter and configuration settings.

You can delve as deeply as you wish but you must be careful while doing so. Stay with "Get" to avoid changing anything.

And avoid websites that offer to download some tool or utility to help gather information.

And, as you always should be doing, ensure that all important data is backed up, proven recoverable, and readable.

SneakyGuy

Distinguished
May 15, 2016
Difficult to know.

However, you can apply some simple cmdlets via Powershell (run as Admin) to determine what Windows is "seeing" with respect to network hardware.

FYI:

Get-NetAdapter

Get-NetAdapterHardwareInfo

There quite a number of links to be found regarding the use of Powershell to learn more about the host computer's network adapter and configuration settings.

You can delve as deeply as you wish but you must be careful while doing so. Stay with "Get" to avoid changing anything.

And avoid websites that offer to download some tool or utility to help gather information.

And, as you always should be doing, ensure that all important data is backed up, proven recoverable, and readable.
I got a bit confused with all of this.

By the way, I forgot to mention, that I had to format my PC from a mistake that I made in the process of trying to fix my internet and when I tried to install the audio drivers after the format an error kept coming up. I think it said error -0001. My audio drivers as well as my ethernet drivers are Realtek. Could something from Realtek have gone bad on my motherboard at all? My audio seems to be fine though.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to open Powershell?

In the "Type here to search box" enter Windows Powershell and choose Run as Administrator.

If so, all that is necessary is to do so and at the command prompt ">" type "Get-NetAdapter"

Take a screenshot of the results and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Then do the same with "Get-NetAdapterHardwareInfo".

Type the Get- 's without the quotes.

And this:

"that I had to format my PC from a mistake that I made in the process of trying to fix my internet"

What internet problem were you trying to fix, what did you attempt to do, and what was the mistake?

SneakyGuy

Distinguished
May 15, 2016
Powershell: View: https://imgur.com/a/Y3IsTXh

By the way, this shows the USB Network Adapter, that I bought like a couple days ago. The default driver that I had was "Realtek PCIe GBE Ethernet Family Controller", that appeared in device manager, but I pressed to uninstall it, because one of the troubleshooting solutions that I found was to uninstall it and restart the PC. When I tried to install a Realtek LAN Driver it said: View: https://imgur.com/a/0MpYi6f
and when I tried to install the audio drivers as I said before it prompted an error: View: https://imgur.com/a/qbAK43f

For some reason at "Get-NetAdapterHardwareInfo" it didn't show anything.

While I was trying to figure out what's wrong with the ethernet, I went and installed the completely wrong network adapter driver and the PC wouldn't boot into windows. Tried to do a reset or recovery from a previous version, but both of these wouldn't work. So I basically had to install windows again. When I did that, ethernet still wouldn't work.

SneakyGuy

Distinguished
May 15, 2016
Are you able to open Powershell?

In the "Type here to search box" enter Windows Powershell and choose Run as Administrator.

If so, all that is necessary is to do so and at the command prompt ">" type "Get-NetAdapter"

Take a screenshot of the results and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Then do the same with "Get-NetAdapterHardwareInfo".

Type the Get- 's without the quotes.

And this:

"that I had to format my PC from a mistake that I made in the process of trying to fix my internet"

What internet problem were you trying to fix, what did you attempt to do, and what was the mistake?
Any updates?

Ralston18

Titan
Interesting: "it didn't show anything."

From my computer:

PS C:\Users\XXXX> Get-NetAdapterHardwareInfo

Name Segment Bus Device Function Slot NumaNode PcieLinkSpeed PcieLinkWidth Version
---- ------- --- ------ -------- ---- -------- ------------- ------------- -------
XRedactedX 0 2 0 0 2.5 GT/s 1 1.1

How long did you wait?

Also: You have reinstalled Windows and the audio drivers - correct?

Keep in mind that it is important to only change one thing at a time.

Run "ipconfig /all" without quotes via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Remember that you should be able to simply copy the results and then paste into this thread. You do not need to retype anything.