Network Cards???

Dave wrote:
> Is there one network card, for DSL, that's even better or worse than the
> other?
>
> Dave

Just my personal experience has been that it doesn't make any
difference, at least between netgear, dlink, linksys, and belkin.

Phisherman

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:23:05 GMT, "Dave" <brooksdj@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Is there one network card, for DSL, that's even better or worse than the
>other?
>
>Dave

I have found no differences, but a well-known brand will have better
support for upgrading drivers. That may be important, for instance,
if someday you decide to install Linux. Today, a lot of motherboards
have networking already built in.

"Dave" <brooksdj@earthlink.net> wrote...
> Is there one network card, for DSL, that's even better or worse than the
> other?

For DSL, it shouldn't matter. DSL is usually limited to less than 1 Mbps, so
any 100 Mbps card will allow full throughput.

If you have a wireless LAN, though, it may help to keep your wireless
Router/Access Point the same brand as your wireless network cards. Linksys has
shown great performance with their Wireless G components. PC Magazine reviews
have shown mixed results with mixed-brand systems.

Dave wrote:
> Is there one network card, for DSL, that's even better or worse than
> the other?

Not really.
Linksys, SMC, Netgear and D-Link are all good products. I prefer the D-Link.

3Com and Intel may have a slight edge in terms of build quality, for a
modest price premium

"S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote in message
> Dave wrote:
> > Is there one network card, for DSL, that's even better or worse
than
> > the other?
>
> Not really.
> Linksys, SMC, Netgear and D-Link are all good products. I prefer
the D-Link.

> 3Com and Intel may have a slight edge in terms of build quality,
for a
> modest price premium

From my own experience; there's also % of CPU useage in handling the
NIC("footprint"). Part of it is the chipset; the rest is in
well-coded drivers.

Intel's NICs usually have the smallest "footprint" at 2-6%

3Com, Linksys, SMC, Netgear and D-Link run in the 8-15% range.

Reality check tho-- those figures are for a machine on a corporate
LAN with lots of LAN intensive apps running at 100 bs

Home users using any decent NIC shouldn't have any problem with
cable or DSL . Unless you lucked out and have your "cable node" all
to yourself; you'll never even get close to 10 MBS .

Just beware of the "supercheapies" --