[SOLVED] Network not utilizing all the bandwidth available?

saltySquash

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Hello. I just moved in somewhere kind of like an apartment but where the internet is prepaid for everyone (but shared by everyone) in the building. When i use internet speedtests like Ookla's, it says 1 ping and 940 mbit download and about the same in upload. Yet I'm only downloading with 10-15 mbyte/second on steam and other clients. Sometimes i have been able to hit 90 mbyte/s which feels more right, but it's only a fraction of the time. I'm using a cat6 udp cable.

Solution
Hello. I just moved in somewhere kind of like an apartment but where the internet is prepaid for everyone (but shared by everyone) in the building. When i use internet speedtests like Ookla's, it says 1 ping and 940 mbit download and about the same in upload. Yet I'm only downloading with 10-15 mbyte/second on steam and other clients. Sometimes i have been able to hit 90 mbyte/s which feels more right, but it's only a fraction of the time. I'm using a cat6 udp cable.
It is possible that they have firewall rules in place to limit the bandwidth going to sites like steam. What is your download speed when you try and download a large driver?

One other thing to note is that 10MBytes/sec is 80Mbit. When you get 90MB you are getting...
It is possible that they have firewall rules in place to limit the bandwidth going to sites like steam. What is your download speed when you try and download a large driver?

One other thing to note is that 10MBytes/sec is 80Mbit. When you get 90MB you are getting about 720Mbit.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Your gigabit bandwidth is only between your location and the ISP. ANYTHING after that is not guaranteed. Since you are getting 940Mb/s from speedtest, your ISP link is performing as expected. What any other location does with their bandwidth can impact you. You are not guaranteed end-to-end bandwidth.