Network stutter

Hi, am quite new to networks, hoping someone may be able to help me.
Am sharing an cable net connection in my house via a cable + wireless
router, everyone is connected fine but when I download large files etc
the connection tends to stop, and will only start up again if I have a
download manager and restart the connection, it's not that it
disconnects because webpages etc. are all fine. Is it something to do
with router settings?

Thanks

Simon C

Wiredchop@hotmail.com (Simon C) wrote in message news:<77ac1a3c.0410231246.d3a8d12@posting.google.com>...
> Hi, am quite new to networks, hoping someone may be able to help me.
> Am sharing an cable net connection in my house via a cable + wireless
> router, everyone is connected fine but when I download large files etc
> the connection tends to stop, and will only start up again if I have a
> download manager and restart the connection, it's not that it
> disconnects because webpages etc. are all fine. Is it something to do
> with router settings?
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon C

First thing to try is to update the router to the latest firmware.
Also, does this affect all users on the network, or only your machine?
When the connection stops, can other users on other machines still
access the net at the same time?